Tuesday, September 13, 2005

In which Julie complains about Relentless Fog (the weather, not my MIND, silly...)

Is it 9:00 a.m.? Is it noon? Is it 6:00 and time for dinner?? Who can tell??? The color outside my office window hasn't changed for DAYS and days and DAYS, except to go black at night. The sky is a relentless, endless pearly white: fog. The curse of the San Francisco summer. And it's COLD. Yesterday I wore my red wool winter coat to the grocery store two blocks away, and I assure you I was not overdressed. Earmuffs would not have gone amiss, given the wind whistling off the ocean. And usually by the middle of September we get some of our most glorious weather -- I mean, an actual facsimile of summer -- but I'm beginning to come to grips with the fact that it might just skip us this year, the warmth. So be it. I'll count my blessings, and all, among them the roof over my head and the fact that I live within four blocks of three Thai restaurants. The funny part is that ten minutes away by the streetcar the sun might very well be shining -- when you emerge from the streetcar tunnel it's like that scene in the Wizard of Oz, where Dorothy opens the door and suddenly the movie switches from black and white to color -- fog to sun and blue sky. I might need to find an excuse to go through the tunnel to downtown...hmmm....MACY'S is downtown...
 
It's pretty good writing weather, however, in that you aren't the least tempted to frolic outdoors. And I'm so in love with my latest hero  -- the one I'm writing now, in the book (as yet untitled) that will come out after BEAUTY AND THE SPY (whose hero I also loved -- hey! I'm fickle!) -- that I half want to keep the heroine's mitts off of him. Just kidding! He's my favorite kind of man, Tom Shaughnessy is, a self-made man; he didn't inherit his money, he isn't nobility, and he isn't a warrior, unless you count the fact that he fought his way up from nothing for everything he now has and will fight to keep it -- and the people he's responsible for -- safe and thriving. He owns a series of bawdy theaters, actually. :)  For any readers out there who might stumble across our blog: who are some of your favorite heroes? Dukes, warriors, barristers, vampires? English, Scottish, American, something else?  And what made them seem heroic to you?
 
I must fly now, as my hero and heroine, Tom and Sylvie await. Sylvie's getting her mitts on him this afternoon. ;) Hope you and your loved ones are having a safe and sunny September so far! xo...julie

7 comments:

Michelle Rowen said...

I think a Vampire Duke would be a really cool hero. Don't you think? ;-) And I am a major sucker for an Australian or British accent.

Julie Anne Long said...

Hmm...a vampire duke with a British accent. LOL. Nah, I've got it: Let's make him DUTCH! I hear the Dutch are a very sexy people! There might be an entire untapped genre there...

What was that suggestion you made for the hero of my latest, Michelle? The Earl of Swarth? THat sounds like a good name for a British vampire duke.

Anonymous said...

Is it a big giant "duh" to say Jamie Fraser? Not because he's Scottish (which helps), but because he's unforgettable and fully rounded? Oh, I'm a sucker for Connor Riordan and Gideon Cole, too, Julie. :)

Michelle Rowen said...

The Vampire Earl of Swarth loves to neck!

Okay, I'll stop now.

Julie Anne Long said...

FANG you very much for THAT idea, Michelle. (ba dum BUM! We're here all week, folks! Don't forget to tip your waitress!)...

Here's the back cover blurb:
"The vampire Earl of Swarth is thirsty for blood, but stealth eludes him: he's too proud of his Dutch heritage to give up his wooden shoes, and he sounds like a clydesdale galloping after his quarry in the dark..."

(((grooooooaaaannnnnn)))

Julie's sister said...

Julie really needs to go to Macy's. I think a new moisturizer would do wonders for her.

Jenny S. said...

my favorite hero is the fox mulder type. the hot maverick misunderstood type. is anyone writing a hero like that these days?