Sunday, September 11, 2005

The new phone book is here!

Anyone out there see the movie "The Jerk" with Steve Martin. If so, then you'll remember the part when he says "The new phone book is here! The new phone book is here! I'm SOMEBODY!" So, okay, instead of the new phone book arriving, it was actually my book - OUT OF THE NIGHT and I was excited because last week it came out. When I walked into the bookstore and saw it on the shelf, I suddenly felt like "somebody." Even the sales clerk behind the counter knew who I was - true, it was after my husband very loudly shouted "Wow! You mean you WROTE that book!"

People's reactions are interesting when they meet an author. Some don't know what to say and others will try to tell you about the great American novel THEY could write, if only.... One of my favorite reactions (and that's favorite in the "do you believe they said that" way) is "so, you write smut." Do the people who ask this question realize how offensive it is? Do they realize how many people they are insulting, because the majority of readers are buying romances over other genres? Do these people realize how ignorant they sound? What I'm never sure about is how to respond to this question.

My standard response is to suggest they read my book and then let me know if they consider it smut or not. Best case is they find my action/adventure vampire romance tales interesting and will pick up the next book - and worst case is, I lost a reader I never had, but sold a book. And there is a kind of perverse satisfaction in that. :-)

Robin T. Popp

No comments: