Monday, September 19, 2005

Q&A with KATHRYN CASKIE


Can you tell us about your new book?

A LADY'S GUIDE TO RAKES (September 2005, Warner Forever) is the third book in my wacky Featherton sisters series.

Its the story of Meredith Merriweather, who after being coldly left at the altar, begins to research and pen a cautionary guidebook to prevent her misfortune from befalling other young ladies--"A Lady's Guide to Rakes."  After conducting social experiments on various former cads, bucks, dandies and lechers, she targets London’s most notorious reformed rake and sets out to prove the adage “Once a rake, always a rake"--even if she has to dangle herself as bait.


What was your favorite part about writing this book?

I love developing unusual or quirky characters then putting them into sticky, situations with a high potential for humor.  Sometimes I find myself sitting alone in my office laughing hysterically as I write a scene - and being very glad no one is home to haul me off and commit me.


If this book was made into a movie, who would you pick to star in it?

The visual for the heroine was actually Nicole Kidman, so yeah, I would choose her.  High potential for an Oscar performance, no?  The hero....oh, Gerard Butler. For sure.  Yum! 


What are you working on right now?

I am polishing up LOVE IS IN THE HEIR, my June 2006 release for Warner.  Its the last of my wacky Featherton sisters series (and there will be 3 weddings--hint, hint.)  Its about an ancient earl who loses his entire family in a terrible accident.  And, knowing he too will die soon, searches for his heir.  Instead of one, he finds two--but since the twins don't know which was born first, the earl secretly makes them a deal.  The first to marry a woman of quality will become the official first born, and will soon inherit the earldom.  What could possibly go wrong? LOL.  Just wait and see.


Where do you get your ideas?

Usually on eBay.  You can get anything there if you look. 


What is the best advice you could give an aspiring writer?

Never ever give up.  It took me 9 years, off and on, to write a book that would sell in today's market. 


What is your favorite movie of all time?

Okay, I have had the same favorite movie since I was four.  Wizard of Oz.  I have no idea why, but I have always loved the movie.  Maybe that's why I talked my husband into walking down to the beach with me last month and taking this picture when funnels were dropping out of the sky all around us. 


Favorite book?

To Kill A Mockingbird. 


Favorite television show?

Now this is hard to answer.  I love quirky shows like Carnivale, Rescue Me, Starved, Desperate Housewives, Deadwood....it all depends on my mood.  Sometimes I don't watch television for days at a time.


Favorite author?

This may sound odd coming from a romance author, but Stephen King.  I still agree with Nora Roberts (another fave) who said that King was the foremost colorist of our generation.


If you were stranded on a deserted island with one person, living or dead, who would you like it to be?

If I stranded on a deserted island for one day, my answer would be very different than if I was going to stranded for a week or more.  More than a day, gotta say my hubby. {she blushes}


If on that island you could only listen to 2 CDs, what would they be?

Can't I just bring two loaded iPods?


If you weren't a writer, what would you like to do for a living?
 
You know the bit about the best way to be happy in your job is to figure out what you love to do, then find a way to make money doing it?  Well, writing is one of those dream jobs.  I enjoy it so much that it seems ludicrous that I am paid write.  Another one of those  dream jobs, for me, would be being an artist.  I draw and paint, and just like when I write, I lose all concept of time and place.  All that exists is the scene or subject I am creating.  The writing and art are very similar in that way.


What are a few of your favorite websites?

I am a nut for eBay.  I love, love, love hunting for antiques and eBay is a great way to hit hundreds of antique shops at once. 


Wanna know more?  Wanna chance to win a hot air balloon trip for two in your home state?  Stop by my website: www.kathryncaskie.com



Reach Kathryn by email | Purchase A Lady's Guide to Rakes

No comments: