Thursday, September 01, 2005

Q&A with ROBIN T. POPP


Can you tell us about your new book?

OUT OF THE NIGHT (Warner Forever, September 2005) is a vampire story with a twist. It’s about librarian-by-day, firefighter/EMT-by-night Lanie Weber who’s just learned that her scientist father, who has been working for the past six months in the Amazon jungle at a secret government research facility, has been killed in a wild animal attack. Unable to have the body flown back to the states – and needing closure - Lanie resolves to fly to the research facility. She does this with the help of Mac Knight, a former Navy SEAL who now flies private charters. He’s not just flying her there for the money, however. He’s going to make sure that the other man killed in the attack, former SEAL team mate Lance Burton, is really dead and not trying to escape the formal inquiry into his actions a year earlier that resulted in the death of several men on their SEAL team. When they first meet, Lanie and Mac don’t quite hit it off. He thinks she’s a mousy bookworm and she thinks he’s an arrogant SOB. When they finally arrive at the research facility, they are met with a disaster that forces them to work together. Everyone in the research facility is dead and the bodies of Lanie’s father and Lance Burton are missing. As they search the premises for whatever killed the researchers, Lanie and Mac come across the statue of a gargoyle. As the sun goes down, the statue … well, you’ll just have to read the book to see what happens.

What is your favorite part about writing this book?

I love reading and watching vampire, action-adventure and romance stories/movies. Writing this book allowed me to combine my interests and really let my imagination go wild.

If this book was made into a movie, who would you pick to star in it?

Wow, hmmm, let’s see. I’m a big THE MUMMY fan, so I think I’d like to see Oded Fehr cast as Mac and Rachel Wiesz as Lanie. I love Brandon Frasier too, but he’s a little too “boy scout” looking to be Mac. Another favorite for Mac would be Keanu Reeves.

What are you working on right now?

OUT OF THE NIGHT is the first book in my NIGHT SLAYER series, so I’m currently working on book 3 of that series – TEMPTED IN THE NIGHT (Jan. 2007). Book 2 is SEDUCED BY THE NIGHT (June 2006).

Where do you get your ideas?

I think they are a product of too little sleep. :-) I get up at 4:30 every morning so I can write for a couple of hours before starting my full-time day job. Plus, I’m very fortunate in that I have several very creative friends who are willing to brainstorm ideas with me.

What is the best advice you could give an aspiring writer?

“Never give up; Never surrender.” Seriously, if becoming published is what’s important to you, then persevere. Don’t think you know everything there is to know; don’t think your writing skills can’t be better honed or your story improved upon. Continually strive to be better than you are. It’s not going to be easy and it won’t come without personal and/or family sacrifice, but nothing worth doing ever does.

What is your favorite movie of all time?

AMERICAN DREAMER – it’s about an aspiring writer who is unhappy in her marriage and who wins a mystery story writing contest. She’s flown to England where she has an accident. She’s knocked out and when she regains consciousness, she believes herself to be the heroine in her favorite mystery story series. It’s very creative, lots of fun – and of course, it’s a romance.

Favorite book?

I don’t know that I have an all time favorite, but if I had to pick, it might be RESTOREE by Anne McCaffrey. It’s the only book I’ve read more than once.

Favorite television show?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (of course) and Gilmore Girls.

Favorite author?

I have so many. Right now, I’m devouring all of Suzanne Brockman’s books. I think she’s fantastic. Another of my favorite authors is Anne Stuart. Jayne Ann Krentz is a long time favorite.



Visit Robin's website | Purchase Out Of The Night

1 comment:

Online Wong PoKér Hu said...

I really liked your book and answering those questions enlightened my a bit. I guess avid readers are keen in knowing simple deatils about your book. I heard that it is already a success and making a lot of heads turn.