Friday, September 09, 2005

Scary Places

bib·li·o·phile (bĭb'lē-ə-fīl'),
1. A lover of books.
2. A collector of books.


I am a bibiophile. Note that the definition does not state that a bibliophile necessarily is a voracious reader of books, just one who loves and collects them. Like an addiction. Like crack cocaine. Or chocolate. Or Big Brother 6 spoilers.

I have bought enough books that the major bookstore chain in Canada which is called Chapters (just think Barnes & Noble with more colorful money exchanging hands) issued me a Lifestyle Membership Card. From now until the end of time I'll be able to get 10% off my every purchase. Even when there's a sale on. Does life get much better than this? I think not.

Because of this discount, and because of my self-confessed bibliophile lifestyle, I want to share a very scary part of my life with you.

My bookshelf.

Or rather, two specific areas of my bookshelf.

Number 1: The To-Be-Read Shelf



All books that I've either purchased, or recently received at the RWA Nationals in Reno. I have not read any of them. Yet. They are waiting very patiently for me.

A few highlights:

#1: "Undead & Unappreciated" by MaryJanice Davidson. This wonderful woman has given me a terrific cover quote for my soon to be released first book, so that officially puts her on my must-buy list. Forever. And ever.

#2: "Pencil Him In" by Molly O'Keefe. She's the president of my RWA chapter, so duh, gotta buy her books. I think it's in the group guidelines or something.

#3: "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clark. Who am I kidding? I'm never going to read this one. That was just wishful thinking. Do you see how thick it is???

On to the next scary place...

Number 2: The I-Wanna-Be-A-Writer Shelf


No, this is not a photo taken in the local bookstore "reference" section. These are (almost) all the books I've bought over the years on every possible aspect of writing. Advice, anecdotes, research material, guidelines. And on a bunch of genres: Sci Fi, Historical, Mystery, YA, Romance. And, in contrast to my TBR shelf, most of these I've actually read. Cover to cover.

A few highlights:

#1: Genre-specific how-to's. Pictured are "Writing Horror," "Writing Mysteries," "Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy," "Writing Books for Kids & Teens," "Writing Magazine & Newspaper Articles" (!!). I know I have a Romance one too, but it's missing in action.

#2: This arrow doesn't seem to exist in the pic and I'm too tired to fix it. So there.

#3: "On Writing" by Stephen King. Along with "Bird by Bird" (also mysteriously missing), this is my favorite book about the writing life.

#4: "No Plot? No Problem!" by Chris Baty. The founder of Nanowrimo wrote this. I've done Nano successfully twice. However, in the real world, unless you're writing literary fiction: No Plot? Big Problem.

#5: "How to Write a Romance and Get it Published" by Kathryn Falk. My very first writing book. This is very well worn. Bought back in the late 80's! and dog-eared, pink highlighted, and drooled on. Not necessarily in that order.

So there you have it. A little tour through a couple scary places in my life. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some reading to do.

Or maybe I should make another trip to the bookstore today...

Michelle :-)

BITTEN & SMITTEN, Jan. '06
www.michellerowen.com

3 comments:

Karmela Johnson said...

I see two Bombshells in your pile! "The Contestant" in stack #2, and another one in stack #3. Which one is it? My eyesight is bad!

Michelle said...

Nope, there's only the one bombshell there. For now. LOL. And if you click the photos, they'll open up larger. :-)

Pink Pen said...

Wow... forget the bookstore, I'll just come over and raid your TBR pile for something to read *grin*
(and thanks for the recommend on Rachel Caine... reading Devil's Bargain now and totally loving it...)