Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Upside of the Downside

Speaking of heroes and fog...well, okay, I have nothing to say about either one. It's sunny and warm in Nashville today and I'm too revved up from my early morning walk to think about the lastest serial killer stalking my brain. In fact, I can't believe I walked at all. Me, the poster child for couch potato, up at 5:45 and pounding the pavement by 6. That's am, folks. I'm turning into an alien version of myself. How about the rest of you? Anyone else out there drag themselves out the door, kicking and screaming? I go to Curves 3X a week, too. Talk about glutton for punishment. If anyone had asked me when I was 12 what I'd be doing now, I wouldn't have said exercise 6 days a week. No way. No sir.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't have said I'd have written and published 1 book, let alone 4 with 2 more on the way (shameless self-promotion coming... Hey--hows about I just get it over with? "Necessary Betrayals" in the December anthology, HOT PURSUIT, and in April, the full-length BLACKOUT).

And here I am working on #6 for Warner, and kvetching and struggling like I did with all the rest (I'll never get it done! Never! Never!). I could really relate to Lisa Gardner's speech last year at RWA where she talked about coming downstairs after a day of writing and telling her husband that her book sucked.

My stuff should only suck so much...

So, I ask you. Where are those famous exercise endorphins everyone brags about? You know, the ones that make you high and happy? I mean, I walk, I bounce, I lift that barge, tote that bale, and I'm STILL the Eyore I always was.

Of course, I'm a size smaller Eyore...

Well, here's to the glass half empty folks. There's gotta be some of you out there. If there weren't there'd only be the glass half full guys, and man, wouldn't the world be a poorer place for it?

3 comments:

Julie Anne Long said...

I remember Lisa Gardner's speech, too, Annie! I remember thinking, "Thank GOD I'm not the only neurotic one! It's apparently normal to hate the book you're writing while you're writing it!"

As for exercise...I run on my mini trampoline while I watch repeats of The Simpson's in the early evening. I go up the hills nearby (GREAT exercise) when it's not windy and cold, which means -- um, not very often these days. I'm not buying that exercise eases neurosis...CHOCOLATE eases neurosis. Exercise is what we do in order to stave of the EFFECTS of easing neurosis. Keep up the good work!

Michelle Rowen said...

Does driving to McDonalds count as exercise?

No, I didn't think so.

Annie Solomon said...

Well, thanks for that clarification, Julie! I'm all for chocolate. As for Micki D's, Michelle, I don't think the DRIVING counts as exercise, but the getting in and out of the car? Now you're talking...