Saturday, October 29, 2005

MY LIFE IS AN OPEN BOOK...OR WILL BE FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS

On October 1, I turned in the manuscript for Love is in the Heir, my June 2006 Regency-set romance for Warner. I am waiting for revisions, which should show up anytime.

My next book is due March 1st (How to Seduce a Duke, December 2006) , and since I haven't started yet, I thought I would try something different this time. I would plot out my book before beginning to write.

This is a big deal for me because, you see, I am what is known as a 'pantser'--meaning that I write by the seat of my pants and what happens, well...happens. The story unfolds in my head and I write it down. But not this time. This time I would plot out the book first. Really.

On November 1st, I will begin. This gives me 4 months to write an 80,000-100,000 word Regency-set romance. Plenty of time. (Insert loud, audible gulp here).

Or it would have been.

The other day, I received an email from the publisher that changed my plans. It seems there is an opening in the October 2006 schedule and if I can deliver my manuscript early (okay, we are talking January, or February 1 at the latest) my book can be slipped into that spot.

Well, we authors know that romance novels sell much better in October, than December. Much better, because in December every spare dollar goes for holiday gifts. No brainer. I have to deliver my manuscript early. That's all there is to it.

No time to meticulously plot the way I had planned. But, because the deadline is so tight, no time either to let the story percolate in my head for a while. I will have to both plot and write by the seat of my pants. Something new for this author. Yikes.

So, on November 1, I am beginning the book. I am also going to begin a blog of sorts on my site (
www.kathryncaskie.com) --How to Write a Romance. Each day, or when the muse is willing, I am going to record, step by step, my progress in writing the book.

Will she crash and burn?


Will she fling herself over the finish line in the nick of time?

Watch and see. Worth a chuckle at any rate, no?

(Oh, please send your prayers.)

1 comment:

Michelle Rowen said...

Sounds like the perfect time to sign up for National Novel Writing Month (www.nanowrimo.org) with the rest of us beggars for punishment! ;-)

Good luck with the book, Kathy!