Saturday, October 01, 2005

Q&A with DIANE PERKINS


Can you tell us about your new book?

THE MARRIAGE BARGAIN (Warner Forever, October 2005) is the first of what I call my Ternion books, Regency Historicals like my first Warner Forever book, The Improper Wife. The Ternion are three boyhood friends who adopted this name, because it means "one plus one plus one." They discovered that they are stronger together than apart. Spence, Blake and Wolfe remained together through school, bought commissions in the army together and fought Napoleon together. The Marriage Bargain tells Spence's story. Spence married timid country girl Emma Chambers, in name only, years before, rescuing her from his uncle’s unwanted suit and providing her the home she desperately desired. He did not know that after he returned to war, Emma’s idyllic life would be transformed into worry and toil and his estate would crumble around her. Blake and Wolfe bring Spence back to Emma in a coffin, struck down in a duel. Emma's youthful romantic fantasy that he would return to make their marriage real is painfully dispelled. Needing to look upon his face one last time, Emma narrowly saves him from being buried alive. In return she seeks a new marriage bargain from Spence – to give her a child. While Spence battles haunting memories and unknown treachery, the one thing he doesn't bargain for is falling deeply in love with his now valiant and captivating wife

What was your favorite part about writing this book?

I have to admit, my favorite part was burying my hero alive (almost)!

If this book was made into a movie, who would you pick to star in it?

When I plan a book, I search through photographs for the right "image" of my hero and heroine. For Spence, I picked Wes Bentley, an actor who was in American Beauty. Emma was Michelle Williams from "Dawson's Creek" but as she appeared in a British film, Me Without You.

What are you working on right now?

I'm working on Blake's story! Blake is a charmer, always trying to be cheerful and to keep the peace. I'm going to give him a heroine to really shake him up!

Where do you get your ideas?

From Macy's? On sale?

Seriously, my books usually start with a glimmer of an idea. For The Improper Wife it was the idea that the heroine would go into labor in the first chapter and the hero would have to deliver her baby. Then I had to figure out the rest of the story. For The Marriage Bargain, it was the "buried alive" idea. I found the book "Buried Alive" by Jan Bondeson, about this primal fear. That started me out and I had to make up a story that fit that beginning of the book.

What is the best advice you could give an aspiring writer?

Join a writers organization, like Romance Writers of America, and then take advantage of all the seminars, meetings, conferences that you can. Find others who love to write like you do and support each other in your aspirations. Write. The most important thing is to write. Finish the book. Crafting a story from beginning to end is invaluable. Finally, in the words of Winston Churchill, "Never Never Never Give Up."

What is your favorite movie of all time?

My favorite movie lately is Jane Austen's Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciarán Hinds, a beautiful depiction of Regency England.

Favorite book?

My favorite book lately is Waterloo: Day of Battle by David Howarth, a depiction of the battle through the eyes of the soldiers who fought it.

Favorite television show?

I am a total LOST fan. Never miss an episode. I started out a big fan of Jack's but he's been pushed aside at the moment for Sawyer, who is a terrific "bad boy" hero.

Favorite author?

This is like asking me to pick my favorite child! I can't do it! I will say that I love to read Regencies. I'm so sorry that the traditional regency is disappearing because these books are like a delicious treat, a pleasant quick read!

If you were stranded on a deserted island with one person, living or dead, who would you like it to be?

My husband. We'd probably argue half the time but who else could put up with me?

If on that island you could only listen to 2 CDs, what would they be?

Gee, probably something classical and something from the big band era. (are you seeing a pattern here? I'm sure you are saying, "This woman is stuck in the past!" It is true. I think I must have been reincarnated . )

If you weren't a writer, what would you like to do for a living?

When I was a county mental health social worker, we used to ask ourselves what we'd like to do for a living if we weren't working in mental health. I always said I'd like to sit in a turret and write romance novels. I don't have a turret, but the rest is pretty much a dream come true. Other than that, I'd like to be a torch singer in an upscale piano bar.

What are a few of your favorite websites?

eBay for just about everything. abebooks.com for research books, most of which are out of print, and amazon.com for new books. (I may live in the past but I'm a great consumer!)

Thanks, Everyone! Happy Reading!



Visit Diane's website | Reach Diane by email | Purchase The Marriage Bargain

No comments: