Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Q&A with MEGAN CRANE


Can you tell us about your new book?

In EVERYONE ELSE'S GIRL (Warner 5 Spot, October 2005) Meredith McKay has gone to a lot of trouble to create the picture-perfect life for herself -- far away from her troublesome family, thank you. When her father's car accident forces her back to her hometown, however, she soon discovers that there's no running away from family issues -- there's only delaying the inevitable. Can anyone sort out a lifetime of drama in one hot summer? Throw in a hot guy from back in high school with an ax to grind, a best friend turned enemy turned soon-to-be-sister-in-law, and of course, the sometimes irritating, sometimes delightful members of her own family, and Meredith is on her way to figuring out that a trip through the past is the best way to move forward. With one revelation after another coming to light, Meredith must reexamine all the things she's ever believed, including the truth about herself. Could it be that she isn't the picture-perfect good girl she always thought she was?

What was your favorite part about writing this book?

Finishing it! I'm serious. Meredith McKay moved into my head, set up shop there, and refused to leave me alone until her story was told. If that sounds uncomfortable, it was. She's sweet, but tenacious. I realize this makes me sound like a lunatic.

If this book was made into a movie, who would you pick to star in it?

I envision Meredith as Reese Witherspoon. That sweet smile and tough chin are all Meredith!

What are you working on right now?

RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT I am working on this Q & A. I am also finishing up an essay, and preparing to start a work-for-hire project.

Where do you get your ideas?

I wish I knew! I don't really get ideas-- I sort of write my way into them. This is a major benefit of not plotting. Often, the book I end up with bears no resemblance whatsoever to the book I had planned.

What is the best advice you could give an aspiring writer?

Just to write. And not to listen to any advice that you think doesn't apply to you. It probably doesn't. (And even if it does, I think we should all cultivate that inner voice that thinks otherwise!)

What is your favorite movie of all time?

I think I used to have favorite movies before you could get TV shows on DVD. Now that you can spend ENTIRE SEASONS with your favorite characters, movies seem small and confined. Or maybe that's just me?

Favorite book?

I don't have one, because I have way too many.

Favorite television show?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Amen.

Favorite author?

Again, I can't pick a favorite. I have a lot of favorites!

If you were stranded on a deserted island with one person, living or dead, who would you like it to be?

Preferably someone who was handy and possibly magical, so we could get OFF the island.

If on that island you could only listen to 2 CDs, what would they be?

I would have to have my iPod with MANY more songs than that. And since I don't plan to remain on the island too long (see above, re: handy person to get us back to safety), battery life would obviously not be a problem.

If you weren't a writer, what would you like to do for a living?

I would like to be an international star of stage and screen. Or royalty.

What are a few of your favorite websites?

www.chicklitbooks.com is the best!




Visit Megan's website | Reach Megan by email | Purchase Everyone Else's Girl

No comments: