Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Random Thoughts of the Sleep Deprived


To blog or not to blog, that is the question:
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to pierce
The endless writer’s block and pen some mindless scribble,
Or to take arms against literary lassitude,
And through conscious effort, be meaningful? To bed, to sleep;
No more; and by caffeinating say we embrace
The hypertension and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, ‘tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish’d. To bed, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
For in that sleep of total exhaustion what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off all conscious thought
Must give us pause: relentless pending deadlines
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the stress and sacrifice,
The reviewers’ wrong, the editor’s one last change,
The pangs of unrequited love in too short a page count,
When the author might her quietus make
By laying down her pen and scribe no more…
Never more, never more,
Quoth the author, never more.

My apologies to Shakespeare and Poe – two of my favorites. An author, such as myself, who is a hardcore plotter, should not also be a hardcore procrastinator. It is a true test of one’s creative ability to be smashed up against a deadline, brain-locked and needing to deliver something of literary (or at least of entertainment) value. Uh – I’m talking strictly about my blog deadline, you know? Yeah! Yeah, that’s right, just the BLOG deadline, not my book deadline. I’ve got THAT well under control. You bet. Nooooo worries…

And no, I didn’t consume too many drugs in the ‘70’s, I’m merely suffering from too little sleep in the ‘00’s! Too many nights of going to bed after 11 pm and waking up at 4:30 am.

What’s up with me lately? I’m diligently working on my book – you know, the one that’s well under control???? – and we’re approaching the holidays which means that my free time is about to be subjugated to family holiday obligations. My stress level has just ratcheted up a couple of notches, but that’s okay because – what’s the drill?? You all know it and preach it yourselves…. “I work best under pressure.”

One thing I did get off my list of “To do’s” is my website. For the last several years, I’ve been doing my own website – not well, mind you, but at least getting stuff out there. Well, no more. I’ve hired someone who knows what they’re doing. Donna Grant (donna@donnagrant.com) did my website and I’m thrilled with it. If you get a chance, please drop by and check it out.

And now – I must go write.

Robin T. Popp
www.robintpopp.com

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Robin... I think you've gone off the deep end. I'll join you there. LOL.

Michele said...

Hi,
Love the new look.
The blood red skulls are creepy, though.
Looking forward to 2006 and the next book.
Your last 2 were awesome!, but you know that.
When will the Dr. notes be up???
Its a great idea!
M