Friday, November 11, 2005

The Glamorous Life of a Writer – or – A Day in the Life of Robin T. Popp

- 4:30 am - Alarm goes off, jerking me from a sleep so deep that it takes endless seconds to figure out A) how to shut off the damn noise; B) who I am and why I’m waking up so early and C) how to reset the alarm so it will go off again in two hours to wake my husband.
- 4:35 amDig through closet and try to find something to wear that A) fits, B) doesn’t have to be ironed and C) isn’t the same thing I wore yesterday. Move clothes and (hopefully) matching shoes to bathroom so as not to disturb sleeping husband. Stumble into kitchen and make cup of Stash’s Black Spice Chai Tea – the only beverage in the free world with enough caffeine to wake me up.
- 4:40 amDrink tea.
- 4:45 – 5:15 amDo hair, drink tea, apply make-up, more tea, get dressed, more tea. Finally, put in contacts – which is done successfully thanks to the tea.
- 5:15 amMake sandwich for lunch, grab purse and satchel, get into car and drive.
- 5:15 – 6:00 amDuring commute to office, listen to music, think about what scenes need to be written and sit at stop sign waiting for the light to change. Uh, yeah - well, maybe I should have had two cups of tea.
- 6:00 amArrive at office, thank various deities for my safe arrival as I have no memory of how I got there, go inside and say hello to security guard. Take the stairs to second floor, mentally checking “exercise” off my “to-do” list and walk to desk, located in open cubicle environment. Leave lights off as it’s nicer that way and resist urge to race up and down empty hallway waving arms and screaming at top of my lungs (because I don’t want to overdo the exercise). Dump my purse and satchel on my desk and proceed immediately to coffee maker and start a pot of coffee brewing.
- 6:10 amArmed with pocket pc, wireless keyboard, CD player, headphones and a cup of coffee, retire to private enclave where no one will disturb me.
- 6:10 – 8:00 amListen to music, drink coffee and stare at blank screen. Glance at clock and see time slipping by. Stare at blank screen. Wonder what family is doing at home. Stare at blank screen. Drink coffee. Tentatively start writing even though it’s bound to sound horrible and will need hours of reworking. Stop writing at 8:00 and realize that I have actually managed to kick out 5 whole pages. I have no idea what they say, but at this hour, I don’t care. However, I must be more productive during lunch.
- 8:00 – noonWork at day job, using any down time to think about next scene in book, doing internet search on my name or title of my book to see if there are any new reviews out there, checking Amazon.com sales rank, and reviewing the emails in my four different email accounts.
- Noon – 1:00 pmWith a good eight to ten cups of coffee in me, retire to enclave again with pocket pc, keyboard, CD player, more coffee and a sandwich. Write, write, write.
- 1:00 – 5:00 pm– Return to desk, feeling good about the five to seven pages I actually wrote and didn't just fantasize about. Do day-job.
- 5:00 – 6:00 pmCommute home, which now takes longer because it’s rush hour in Houston.
- 6:00 – 11:00 pmGo to game (three teenagers, all in sports, always a game going on), go to store, go to any fast food joint in town and ask for the "usual", make mental note (again) to start diet tomorrow, eat and spend the rest of the evening convincing children I’m NOT Jeeves – their father is.
- 11:00 pmDrag self to bed and attempt to read a book for pleasure.
- 11:05 pmPut book down because after reading same paragraph four times with eyes closed, it just ain’t happening tonight.
- 11:06 pm – 4:30 amSqueeze 8 hrs recommended sleep into 5 ½ hours.
- 4:30 amRepeat the above.



Robin T. Popp
www.robintpopp.com

2 comments:

Corkey and Linda said...

You are our hero!!!
Humor and the ability to write coherent paragraphs...you are the woman

Trish Milburn said...

Robin, I'm tired just reading that post. There is very little that will get me out of bed at 4:30 a.m. LOL about the Jeeves comment. :)