Friday, December 16, 2005

One of those days . . .

Occasionally, my plot twists get tangled and my characters aren’t cooperative. On those days I may entertain the thought that I should chuck the whole business and go out and get a job. Nothing too strenuous or mind taxing.  Twenty hours a week, Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. would be nice.

When the thought starts sounding too good, before I reach for the classifieds, I pull out my list of reasons I would really rather Not.

Lack of Wardrobe. Once upon a time I had a wardrobe. Oh, I have clothes in the closest.  Several pair of nice slacks and a trio of blazers that I can throw on when necessary. A few dresses suitable for special occasions. I own three pairs of pumps that I haven’t worn in years. Shopping might be fun, but I’m not sure my charge card could stand the strain.

Elderly Car.  My ’96 Grand Prix is in good shape with only 70,000 miles on it. I take it out of the garage twice a week or so for trips to the grocery store, the library, the coffee shop, or the post office. Twice a month I go for breakfast and a gabfest with friends. If I start putting major miles on the car, I’m sure it would protest, maybe quit, and then I’d have to work just to pay for a new car.

Office politics. I’ve worked for terrific bosses. I’ve also worked for those who think they know everything and absolutely refuse to listen to reason and then wonder why a project turned sour and blame everyone but themselves. Enough said.

My Grandsons. I’m listed as the contact on their Emergency Card at school. If they’re sick enough to leave school, I bring them to my house and proceed to fuss, pamper and spoil. They may now be too old to cuddle with in the rocking chair, but they’re still young enough to enjoy curling up on the couch with me to watch a movie. I’m enjoying it while it lasts!

I like writing. I may grumble and gripe and moan and groan over some aspects of the publishing business that I find annoying. Yes, some days sitting in front of the computer is tougher than I would like it to be. No, I can’t think of one single job I would rather be doing.

#1 reason for working at home. As I’m sorting out a tangled twist in TWILIGHT MAGIC, I’m sitting at the kitchen table in my comfortable jeans and a sweatshirt, with a cup of hot coffee and a warm banana walnut muffin, staring out the patio door into my backyard. Temperature is 21 and the snow is coming down in huge flakes, and the wind is blowing that heavy, wet snow around. And I don’t have to go out there.

Wishing you and yours a Blessed, Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Happy New Year!

Shari Anton

MIDNIGHT MAGIC, Available Now!  www.sharianton.com

 

 

No comments: