Monday, January 16, 2006

Annie Solomon

Do you ever listen to music and think, wow, that's my character's song? I was coming home from somewhere or other a few months ago, and George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone" came on the radio (hmm...what does this tell you about my listening habits?) and I realized that was Angelina's song. She's my heroine in DEAD RINGER. In fact, I have a scene in the book where she's trying to get a rise (pun intended) out of the hero, Finn, so she dances seductively in front of him. At the time I wrote it, I couldn't think of the perfect song. Two years after the book came out, wouldn't you know it, bam! There it is on the radio.

So, that got me thinking. What song would be perfect for, say, Danny, in BLIND CURVE? I almost quoted from it in the front of the book, then didn't. But since Danny loses his sight, and the book is largely about his struggle to come to terms with that (not to mention a ruthless killer who's trying to take him out), I thought of the Jesse Colin Young song, "Darkness Darkess."

My April 2006 book, BLACKOUT, is about a woman who can't remember who she is or what she's done, but it might be so bad she almost doesn't want to know. Something David Grayish would be nice, but I haven't got there yet.

Anyway--it's fun to think about it. What song is perfect for your favorite character?

5 comments:

MaryF said...

The Green Day song "I Walk Alone" is perfect for the hero of the book I just finished.

Annie Solomon said...

Ooh, I love Green Day. Saw them in concert here. Billy Joe was a-mazing. I was surprised he didn't drop dead at the end, he put so much of himself into his performance. "American Idiot" is a truly great album. "I Walk Alone" not my favorite, but I can see how it could be an anthem for a romance hero. Definitely!

Megan Crane said...

I usually make entire iTunes mixes for each book... At my readings in the fall I gave away a mixed CD of songs I was inspired by while I was writing Everyone Else's Girl...

I can't be the only one, right?

(RIGHT???)

Paula Quinn said...

I can ONLY write while I listen. Without music, I just sit staring blankly at the screen. Usually though, one song just hits me and I listen to that same one over and over. Lately, it's been You Make Me Better by Bo Bice.

Annie Solomon said...

Wow! I NEVER listen to music while I'm writing. I have enough distractions. But I know plenty who have. I should try it; maybe it would work! And Megan--great idea about the mixed CD. Love it. Might have to try that.