Thursday, January 05, 2006

My resolutions...or not

My original plan was to post a list of my New Year's Resolutions for 2006. I thought it would be a good topic for my post, because it would force me to actually make a list of resolutions. See, I don't usually make resolutions. The reason is that everything I would resolve to do is already something I' m working on! If it's important enough to make a new year's resolution about it, then I shouldn't be waiting until New Years to make the resolution, right?

So, as I was thinking of my list of resolutions, I started getting stressed because I realized that I was already working on everything on my list, and despite that, none of them had been "accomplished." They were all works in progress. I suddenly felt like a failure. I'd had these goals forever, and they weren't done yet?

Then I realized I was taking the wrong approach. I needed to cut myself a break. Instead of focusing on what goals I hadn't yet accomplished, I should be congratulating myself on the efforts I'd already been making and on the progress I'd already made. This profession (and life in general) is already so full of ways to knock yourself down, why add to the problem by focusing on how I'd fallen short, on how I wasn't "good enough?"

Instead, I made myself think about how much I'd accomplished in 2005. Surprisingly, the list was quite long. Some of them were little accomplishments, some were huge, some were personal and some were professional, but all of them deserve recognition. Yes, maybe I didn't reach all my goals, but I accomplished alot. I'll keep working, keep redefining my goals as I move forward, and I will try to remember to pay attention to each little accomplishment I make, instead of dwelling on the ways I've fallen short.

So I guess that's my resolution: no more dwelling.

Click here to visit Stephanie's blog

No comments: