Friday, February 17, 2006

As Promised

All righty, I promised to post.  I've been a very, very bad girl for the past few months.  It's not that I don't want to participate -- I honestly can't remember what day it is.  I know I'm no busier than any of the rest of you, but by golly, I must be much more disorganized!  Under the pressure to come up with an idea to post has had me like a deer in the headlights for the past two days.  Everyone has been posting such witty and clever topics.  But me, I'm just going to complain about my cell phone.
 
A person would think any cell phone offered at the Verizon place would be adequate.  I don't need a camera.  I don't need music videos.  I don't need it to forecast the weather or write my next synopsis.  I just need it to conduct a clear, uninterrupted call.  I didn't go ultra cheap and get the basic.  I went a grade up, flip phone, supposedly the same level as my last phone (which was perfectly fine ... until the "great echo" began a few weeks ago.  Naturally, there is no fix for this problem.  So I go for the new phone, the solution to all of my calling frustration.
 
Unfortunately, this phone behaves something like a voice activated walkie talkie -- complete dead air, as if disconnected if no one is actually talking.  It kicks in when someone speaks, but it cuts off at least the first syllable of what they're saying.  This makes me, the listener who didn't catch the first of the sentence, seem like I'm either half-deaf, ignoring them, or stupid.  None of which are characteristics (even if they might be true) that I want just any old caller to suspect.
 
So, I'm putting on my battle gear and heading back to the store.  I imagine I'll get a lovely smile and the offer to allow me to purchase a new, higher-level phone (perhaps I'd like to donate my old "new" phone to charity?).
 
Grrrrrrrrrrr.
 
Susan Crandall

1 comment:

Diane Perkins said...

Susan,
I have a Verizon phone that takes pictures and text messages and can be voice activated. I never took the time to figure it out. Eve using it the regular way confuses me from time to time. I think they should make a phone for dummies!
Diane