Sunday, February 12, 2006

From Sarah McKerrigan...

2/12/06
 
I LOVE the movies.  Maybe it’s because I’m a third-generation California girl.  Maybe it’s because I relish the cool dark hush of the theater.  Or maybe it’s because I can completely escape into films.
 
When I was a little girl, I used to live and breathe the characters for days after I saw a movie.  After “Sleeping Beauty,” I WAS Princess Aurora, dancing in the forest (never mind that she was a cartoon).  After “The Greatest Story Ever Told,” my mom made me a nightgown that looked like biblical robes, and I slept in it every night for weeks.  After “The Great Escape,” I sat in the driveway, tossing a baseball endlessly against the garage door.  Even now, if I see a particularly powerful film, I sometimes feel as if I’m seeing the world through the hero’s eyes for a while afterwards.
 
Watching movies at home isn’t the same, and it’s not just because I have a measly 25-inch TV in a world full of six-foot flatscreens.  It has more to do with the lack of interruptions, like the dog wanting on my lap, or the kids wanting dinner, or that cobweb in the corner that really needs to come down.  And there’s nothing like that lovely ambience of the theater, the grandiosity of the music, the immensity of the images, and yes, even the intoxicating scent of buttered popcorn.
 
I don’t eat popcorn at movies myself.  It’s overpriced.  I’m one of those premeditating snackers who buys my movie treats ahead of time, usually at the drugstore, where they’re three for a dollar, and sneaks them in in my purse.  If I feel a little guilty about it, I buy a water at the snack bar’s inflated prices to wash down my clandestine candy.
 
When people ask me what my favorite movie is, I always have to name at least three, since my tastes are so disparate.  Currently I like “Lord of the Rings,” “Terminator 2,” and “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.”  See what I mean?  But I’d never want to see them on the same day.  Can you imagine how hard it would be to channel Arnold Schwarzenegger and Audrey Hepburn at the same time?
 
I hope someone makes a movie out of one of my books someday.  THAT would be sublime.
 
Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night.
LADY DANGER
Riding to the rescue April 2006

1 comment:

Diane Perkins said...

Hi, Sarah!
We seems to be on a movie (or actor) kick lately. That's all right with me.
I remember loving Breakfast at Tiffany's, especially when they rescued the cat. When I was growing up on Army bases we could go to the movies for a quarter and so I often saw movies over and over. I rarely go now, but feel I'm missing it. I loved the whole experience of seeing Pride & Prejudice--4 times. That habit of seeing a movie over and over dies hard!
Diane