Saturday, February 18, 2006

THE "HOT" FACTOR

In Robin's earlier post about her favorite hot guys, she included Kurt Russell as her lifetime idol (he's one of my favorites, too, Robin) but I suddenly realized that when I think of Kurt, I don't think of Kurt today as he is in his recent movie "The Dreamer" (which I recently watched with my grandchildren).  The Kurt Russell that flashes through my mind is Detective Nick Frescia in "Tequila Sunrise" - talk about HOT!  No grandchildren allowed!

Just out of curiosity, I couldn't resist checking to see how long it had been since that movie was released, and I was shocked.  "Tequila Sunrise" was released way back in 1988!  Am I really that old?  Well, yes, I am.  But that's beside the point.

And then I realized it was the same for all of the actors on my "hot" list, both past and present.  When I think of an actor, I always think of him in a specific character role.

For instance, these actors are oldies now, but thanks to the wonderful characters they've played in the past, they're perpetual hotties in my book.  Robert Redford will always be Hubbell in "The Way We Were" (1973).  Paul Newman will always be "Cool Hand Luke" (1967) which happens to be the year I graduated from high school and fell madly in love with him.  Sean Connery will be Bond, James Bond - ALWAYS.  And though I never really saw what all of the Clint Eastwood fuss was about, was the man ever hotter than he was in his role as Robert Kincaid in "The Bridges of Madison County" (1995)? 

Let's move on to the semi-seniors Mel, Kevin, and Richard.  Was Mel Gibson hot in "Braveheart" (1995) or what?  My heart will forever flutter thinking of Kevin Costner in his starched, white navy uniform in "No Way Out" (1987).  And for me, Richard Gere can star in leading roles until the day he dies, but he'll always be Zack Mayo in "An Officer and a Gentleman" (1982) to me.

Finally, moving forward to the just-now-showing-their-age generation.  Tom Cruise (despite the recent Katie madness) is forever branded in my memory as Maverick in "Top Gun" (1986).  And forget Mr. Smith, dude - the Brad Pitt I see when I close my eyes is Tristan riding up on a horse to say hello to Julia Ormond in "Legends of the Fall" (1994).  Big sigh here.  And a little hand waving in front of my face to cool myself off.

So, for me, I guess it's the character role that pushes my "hot" button factor, more than just the guy.  And I say this because I'm a HUGE Matthew McConaughey fan (Robin, we obviously have the same taste in men.)  I fell in love with him in John Grisham's "A Time to Kill" (1996).  I adored him in "How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days" (2003).  But I really didn't care for his character in his 2005 movie "Sahara."

Go figure.  As much as I adore Matt, the "hot" factor just wasn't there for me because I didn't like the action hero he played.

So?  What say you guys?  Is it the character role, or the guy himself that delivers the "hot" factor for you?

And Diane, I can't wait for your post on the 20th about "Dear Frankie" because I LOVED GB in that character role!

Okay, readers, please jump in here!  We Warner women would love to hear your opinions about the types of hotties you like to see on the silver screen, and the types of hotties you like to read about in the romances we write.

Candy Halliday - off to take a cold shower now.

4 comments:

Diane Perkins said...

Groan, Candy. I remember Kurt Russell in the TV Series The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters. He was 12. I was...about that age too. And I did like him then. He has always been appealing.

I can't see Robert Redford, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt as hot in any role. They simply have never appealed to me. Likewise Clint Eastwood in Bridges Of Madison County - way too old for a romantic lead, IMO.

But I fell in love with Mel Gibson during his second Mad Max movie. That sparked a GB style obsession until his second Lethal Weapon movie, where I thought he'd become a caricature of himself. Likewise with Harrison Ford. Loved him in American Graffitti and Star Wars and Indiana Jones, not to mention Blade Runner and Witness. But he has not aged well. At least he's not taking romantic leads anymore, I don't think. I never warmed up to Matthew McConaughey either--it's that name-spelling thing--and him being in Contact, a movie I thought was dreadful. I do, for the sake of my friend Janice, reserve for him the benefit of the doubt, though.

Stay tuned for my latest Gerard Butler -- ahem -- research project!

Cheers!
Diane

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Ioan Gruffold.
Sigh.
Such a sad, sad case. He was a hunk o' smoldering sex appeal as Lancelot in KING ARTHUR (not the best plotted movie in the world, but hey, who cared? It starred Ioan and Clive!) Then they put him in FANTASTIC FOUR and neutered the poor man. He came off as this dweeby scientist guy who couldn't even get the girl who LIKED him to go out with him.
Sigh.
It pains me to even think about it.

Candy Halliday said...

Diane:

I can't believe I forgot to include Harrison Ford!

You're right, he hasn't aged well, but in his day he was quite sexy by most women's standards.

Candy

Candy Halliday said...

Elizabeth:

I didn't care for the FANTASTIC FOUR period.

Haven't seen Ioan in the Lancelot role.

I'll have to add that to my movie list.

Candy