Thursday, February 09, 2006

Michelle's Inspiration

I'd like to introduce you to a couple of my boyfriends. Well, I don't actually know them in real life, but they have helped me to develop my heroes. Different heroes call for different types of men, and all I can say is: Hooray for Hollywood!



Hugh Jackman doesn't know it, but I would consider marrying him. If it just wasn't for that pesky wife of his, and the fact he has no idea who the hell I am. But I digress. Hugh is perfect for the broody type. Even though he does his song-and-dance thing, he is my broody, sullen hero who needs the heroine to infuse his life with some light and laughter. Hugh can also cross over into Historicals, picturing his character from Kate & Leopold. Really, Hugh is the all-around perfect inspiration for any hero.



I first noticed Gerard Butler in the preview for Dear Frankie...and I thought: "Hello handsome!" He is also versitile (and hot) enough to play anything from your vampire hero to a historical character. He has an edge to him that speaks of hidden depths, perhaps villainy... redeemable, of course! And, like my husband Hugh Jackman, the boy can sing!



Jude Law is the perfect example of the bad boy/pretty boy mix. If you want your heroine's jaw to drop and to fall in love at first sight, you could use Jude as your hero inspiration.



Josh Holloway, the Southern hottie on Lost is a good example of a bad boy with major edge. This guy will use me, abuse me, and I'll come running back for more because I know he only hates himself. Err... I mean "your character", not "me."

Anyhow...



James Marsters as Spike is totally hot, and layered, mad, bad, and dangerous to know. And, come on, how many guys could pull of platinum blonde hair and still be a bad-ass? Don't listen to Megan Crane. Spike was a fabulous character with hotness to spare. So there.

And wait... there's more!



Julian McMahon is the perfect inspiration for the billionnaire bad boy character who's had a thousand women, but has never truly been in love.

And last, but certainly not least...



David Duchovny who can be your brainy, misunderstood, but still ridiculously handsome hero.

I know I missed a lot of perfect heroes, so tell me... Who is your Hollywood boyfriend? Who'd make the perfect character in your favorite novel?

11 comments:

Garnigal said...

Nice list of pretty and inspiring boys. James Marsters and David Duchovney are way top of my list.

How about adding some Can-con, though? A little Geraint Wyn Davies, brooding vampire who wants to be mortal again? or Nathan Fillian, damaged leader of a damaged crew on a damaged spaceship, wanting love but feeling undeserving?

Fall in love with Canadian Actors, Ask Me How!

Karmela Johnson said...

Okay, I don't wanna hear any snickers on this...okay, go ahead...but one of my all-time favorite bad boy/brooding heroes is...

Dylan McKay.

Guilty pleasure.

Kristin said...

Well, I have to confess, Johnny Depp in "Edward Scissorhands." He was brooding and sad and misunderstood. OK, so he was also scarred, super pale, and wearing a weird leather outfit with buckles (some might consider the latter a plus), but I loved him anyway. Still do.

And this will probably get a laugh, but Kurt Russell in the movie "Soldier." He made me cry for him! A boy raised by the State to be a soldier and given only harshness and cruelty sacrifices himself for a bunch of helpless human beings. Oh, if only a good woman could show him how to love!!!

Colleen Gleason said...

Oooooh! Thanks for the mid-day eye candy! I needed it!

I just popped over to tell Diane that I posted a present for her on my blog. And you'd already beat me to it, Michelle!

Colleen Gleason said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I love the other LOST boy...Matthew Fox. He's a great hero.

And I'm particularly fond of Colin Firth, though he's getting a bit long in tooth now...but he was so hot and perfect in P&P.

Megan Crane said...

Ew. Spike.

I just don't see it. I think he looks like he needs a sandwich, and possibly some IV fluids.

And if you think that this post serves as a rebuttal to my very long, well-thought-out essay, you are wrong.

Very, very wrong.

Diane Perkins said...

Michelle,
Well, given my new obsession, if you hadn't included Gerard Butler, I'd have had to give you a severe scold. Hugh Jackman, Josh Holloway, Julian MacMahon all make my list as well.

How many of you search for a photo when you are creating your heroes? I do. It is one of my first steps. I found this really hunky guy for the secondary hero in my just written Mills & Boon book, so I put his picture in my character summary page. He's always been destined to be the hero in the next M&B book. It was only later I discovered I had selected Gerry Butler! (now I fear they are all going to look like him)

The fellow I picked for my next As Yet Unnamed Warner book is Alistair Appleton from BBC America's Cash in the Attic. I know, I know, he isn't exactly "romance hero" material, but it is his smiling charm that fit the character. Gotta give my guy a darker side though.....
Could go on and on!
(since you mentioned GB, expect a lot of hits!)
Colleen, I'm hurrying to your blog!!!
Diane

Bonnie said...

Thanks Michelle! Personally, I'd like to go to that island where Josh Hollyway is...polar bears and "the others" be damned. And if he's playing hard to get, I can always hang out with Naveen Andrews.

Anonymous said...

Ah, well, you've already listed him! Gerry is the MAN! He'd make a great character because he has so many facets to his personality, he'd always keep the heroine guessing. He can be so mad that his voice can rock the foundations, yet he can talk to you as if you are the only person on the planet. He draws his characters from real life. He has a very dark side to him, but mostly he is a gentle, overwhelmingly generous man who really needs the love of a good woman, namely, me! Oh wait, I'm married, have 2 kids, uh, but anyway, in my dreams.

No, I'm not at all obsessed, not me. GARK!

cathy grant

sybil said...

hee isn't that a great pic of David Duchovney? I have that saved on my computer. And still have old xfiles wallpaper up ;).

Shari Anton said...

Love the pictures, Michelle. Now I have to figure out how to put a picture in my blog!