Sunday, February 05, 2006

Will someone love me?

Okay, I'm an author. I know reviews are out there. I've gotten my share of bad ones (like the one that said the only good thing about my book was that it was short), and I get some good ones. But I always claim that I don't really care. They don't mean anything. They aren't indicative of a book's future or anything like that. All that matters is numbers.

I am a mature author.
I am above reviews.

Um, apparently not.

Today, I saw my first review for my book, DATE ME, BABY, ONE MORE TIME, a paranormal romantic comedy that is coming out in May. The reviewer loved it! And you know what? I'm dancing around the room like an idiot, chanting to myself how someone loved me!

Why do we care? Why do we let ourselves get high on the good reviews and down on the bad ones? Shouldn't we all be secure enough in ourselves not to need external validation?

Yeah, we should.

But's not that easy to do.

I'm human. I put my heart and soul into that book. And I care what people think. Today it's a good review. Next week or next month it'll be a bad one. Maybe even a mean-spirited one. And I'll have to tell myself not to care. Not to give it any validity.

But it won't be easy, because deep down inside of all of us, I believe there is a human need to be liked. This writing biz challenges that part of the human soul, to be sure, but this is the career I've chosen, and with it comes laying my hard work out to the public to be exposed. So, I shall just grit my teeth and go forward. And I'm going to let myself get high on the highs, and I'm going to do everything my power not to care about the lows.

So today is about dancing, and I'm going to let myself dance.

Stephanie Rowe
DATE ME, BABY, ONE MORE TIME 5/06

4 comments:

Trish Milburn said...

Congrats on the great review. Can't wait to read the book.

TJBrown said...

Rising above reviews is like rising above rejections. We know we should. We. Just. Can't. Quite. Do. It.

So if you can't completely disregard them you might as well enjoy the good ones!
Teri

Nicole said...

Oh hey, I'm jealous. I want to read that book so bad.

Diane Perkins said...

I am so excited for you, Steph! I love good reviews. They make me happy every time. I mean, why do we write if not to have others love our books? It isn't just sales. We want to know that readers enjoyed the experience, that they understood the journey we took our characters on.

I'm so glad you had this joy. And I can't wait until this book is out!!

Diane