Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Rites of Spring - or Shari's Cabana boy

Tomorrow is the first official day of spring! It’s also St. Patrick’s Day! Naturally, today we’re supposed to get about nine inches of snow. So tomorrow I’ll be sloshing around in my heavy coat and boots and mumbling under my breath about what I think of Mother Nature’s little joke.

For today, though, I’ll stay warm and keep my sanity by pulling down all the shades so I don’t have to watch the white stuff come down. I have the fireplace lit and put on a pair of shorts and tank top (I thought putting on a swim suit was overdoing things a bit) and drug out the pictures we took in Mexico this past February.

Sun and sand. Ah, yes. I highly recommend the Iberostar Tucan on the Riviera Maya, south of Playa del Carmen. It’s an all inclusive with a great staff, lovely rooms and a fabulous beach. The food is terrific and the bartenders don’t skimp on the rum and they have a fabulous beach.

Okay, we didn’t spend the whole week on the beach. We went to Coba, which is the site of Mayan ruins much like Chichen Itza, and to a Mayan village, and went shopping in Playa del Carmen.

Now back to the beach. I told everyone we were headed for Mexico to soak up some heat and sun and to store up enough Vitamin D to last me through the rest of winter. Yes, I know you can’t store Vitamin D but it sounded good to me.

My little secret – I added to my collection of Cabana Boys. And I’m sharing.

This is Fabio. Really. His name is Fabio and he’s from Argentina. His job, as far as I could tell, was to walk on the beach, talk to the guests and look good. He was very good at his job.

Note the white sand. Note the chef in the background making paella. Note the thatch-roofed umbrellas under which I was sitting on a comfortable lounge chair, sipping on a pina colada, watching Fabio stroll around on the beach. Hear my husband chuckle when I asked him to take out his camera and take this picture.

We’ll probably go back in two years. I doubt Fabio will still be on the staff. That’s okay, because someone as equally good at his job will be strolling the beach and I’ll have a new Cabana Boy to add to my collection.

Shari Anton

www.sharianton.com

6 comments:

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Awww! I want a Cabana Boy named Fabio! Actually, I want a house boy--someone to bring rum drinks up to my office and whip up little canapes to keep my strength up when I'm busily staring at the wall. And now that I think about it, maybe he can do some laundry and pick up the place, too. Or is that asking too much?

Michelle Rowen said...

Fabio looks a great deal like my man-servant and masseuse, Sven. I was wondering what he was up to whilst away from the mansion last month.

Shari Anton said...

Elizabeth, if we all had a Cabana Boy running around the house, serving our every whim, when would we get any writing done?

Oh, dear, Michelle! Has Sven returned? Hope so! And can I borrow him? I have this kink in my neck . . .

Michelle Rowen said...

I will lend his twin brother Hans to you, Shari. He is also very talented.

Candy Halliday said...

Shari:

If you go back in two years and Fabio is still there, think you could kidnap him for us?

Um, I mean for all of you young and sassy Warner Women, of course. I'm a grandmother, for gosh sakes!

Candy

Shari Anton said...

Um, Candy, I'm a grandmother, too. Doesn't stop me from appreciating the, um, beauty of life! :)

Shari