Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Scotland Or Bust! by Paula Quinn

April 1st celebrates Tartan Week here in NYC. A time when Manhattan honors my favorite place in the world, Scotland. For just a two dollar fare, I'm be able to step into the world of bagpipes, kilts, Robert Burns, and Haggis.

The celebration kicks off with a ceremony beginning Saturday April 1st at the Scottish Village in Vanderbilt Hall, Grand Central Terminal. Events are free and include live music, cooking demonstrations, and fashion shows.

There's a 10k run in Central park on April 2 sponsored by he Scottish Executive. On April 4th, a Celtic rock band performs at the Nokia Theater in Times Square. The St. Andrews Society Cocktail ( a ticketed event), takes place at the New York Health and Racquet Club on April 6th, and on the 8th, my favorite event, the Tartan Day Parade marches down 6th Avenue.
Lots of Scottish men in kilts, playing bagpipes. How good does life get for a Scottish wanna-be, like me?

I won't be attending Dressed To Kilt, since a ticket at the Highlander table (which is where I want to sit) costs $5,000, but I may stalk about the outside of building, eyes peeled for you-know-who.


Dressed To Kilt 2005

All this Scottish goodness comes just in time for my fourth book. I wrote the first draft a few years ago and now I get to work on it again for Warner. I'm excited. There's something about a Highlander riding across wind-swept moors in all his alpha glory, on the brink of giving up his warrior heart to a woman braw enough to take it.
The burr, the knees, the pride...I can't wait to get started.
Writing transports me to different places and different times, but beginning April 1st, I'll be able to get to a tiny piece of Scotland on the A train.

I'd love to see you there!

18 comments:

Megan Crane said...

Ew, haggis.

Seriously, that's all I have to say. The rest of the Scottish thing is great, but I can't deal with the haggis...

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Okay, what is the deal with leather kilts? The kilt is a terribly masculine article of clothing that should not be tarted up with leather! So there! Real men don't need to wear leather kilts. Also, I should think leather would impede the swing of the kilt in back, which is half the fun for female admirers of the kilt.

As for haggis . . . ever tried black pudding?

Diane Perkins said...

Paula, our kilted friend told two very funny tales on Jay Leno about wearing a kilt to his sister's and his brother's weddings. If you look you can still find it online somewhere. So so funny.
I saw parts of Scotland for the first time last summer. So beautiful! At our hotel's pub I had a long conversation with a couple from Glasgow--didn't understand a word they said!!
Diane

MaryF said...

I would be right there with you, Paula! The singer from Garbage is on TV right now and I love her Scottish accent!

Paula Quinn said...

Megan, I've actually never tried Haggis, but I intend to at the Scottish Festival. I'll let you know what I thought of it.

Elizabeth, Gerry in leather! I mean, really.

Diane, I have every interview Gerry's done downloaded on my computer, including the Jay Leno shows, Ellen, Craig Ferguson...etc. I love the story about his sister's wedding. How about the one about his "crazy father?" OMG, I love him. Can you tell?

Mary, I'm with you! Isn't it odd that when she sings, she sounds American though?

Megan Crane said...

I've tried black pudding AND haggis-- and people wonder why I no longer live in the UK.

Yuck!

Paula, you'll have to let me know how you like it!

Paula Quinn said...

Megan, get out! You lived in the UK? I'm so jealous!

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Okay! Okay! I'll concede that Gerry in leather is a Good Thing and make an exception to the No Leather Kilt rule--but ONLY for Gerry. I'd better not see Ewan McGregor in one again any time soon, and I won't even go into Alan Cummings' man skirt thingy. Yech.

Megan Crane said...

Paula: It's true! I lived in York, England for about 5 years!

Lisa Pulliam said...

Jealousy is seeping from my fingers onto the keyboard. Out here in Oregon I only have a one day Highland festival in July to look forward too...have tons of fun and get a good fill of kilts! If you see Gerard Butler, you should slip a camera under his kilt and snap a shot ;-)

Paula Quinn said...

Elizabeth, I love Ewan McGregor, but I agree. Who's Alan Cummings? I must go Google him now.

Megan, OMG, you have to tell me about it. I swear in a past life or something, I lived in the UK. York, England(sigh)

Lisa, LOL! That's going to bring a smile to my face for the next few weeks. Thank you :)

Paula Quinn said...

Oh and Elizabeth, welcome to the blog. I'm so glad you're here :) I read the excerpt on your web page. I can't wait to read the book!

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Why, thank you, Paula! *blushes* What a nice thing to say!

Alan Cummings is a character actor--he was Nightcrawler in X-Men 2, although I think he was covered in dark blue paint in that one, so it was hard to tell what he looked like. Also, I was pretty busy ogling Hugh Jackman, and may not have been paying attention. Now, Hugh Jackman in a kilt--leather or otherwise--I might just PAY to see!

MaryF said...

Lisa, apparently if you were at Gerry's sister's wedding, you wouldn't have had to sneak a camera ;)

Diane Perkins said...

Paula,
Another soul-mate! I am constantly amazed at the Gerard Butler phenomenon. As well as the man himself, of course!!!
Can any man be more charming and disarming!!!
Diane

Candy Halliday said...

Paula:

Ah, lassie, so sorry you won't be agoin' to see GB. If I had the extra $1,500.00 I'd send it to ye in a heart beat. :)

Candy

Candy Halliday said...

Ack! Sorry Paula, I read the amount wrong.

$5,000.00? Seriously?

Please tell me for that kind of money GB will be nekkid!

Candy

Paula Quinn said...

Candy, not nekkid, but I bet a peek under the kilt would be worth the 5 grand.

I think we should tell Warner we want Gerry to be on our covers. Imagine the sales? lol