Friday, April 14, 2006

Dinner Recipes for the Harried

That’s what I need – fast, easy dinner recipes for the woman who's too busy to cook.

Life has been chaotic these past couple of months - as evidenced by my lack of blogging. (Deepest apologies O Wise Blogamatrix). I meant to blog – but as they say, the road to hell is paved with the stones of "meant to's" (okay - I took some liberties with that one).

What have I been up to? I started a new day job, agreed to write a second book (book 2 of the IMMORATALS series coming in 2007 from Dorchester) in the same time frame I’m trying to write the fourth book in my Warner NIGHT SLAYER series while revising TEMPTED IN THE NIGHT , the third in my Warner NIGHT SLAYER series. Add to that three teenagers heavily involved in sports and . . . well, we barely have time for fast food – and we’ve eaten so much of it that nothing sounds good anyore.

Does this happen at your house?

What we need are some fast, easy and moderately healthy dinner ideas. Anyone have one they'd like to share? I'll start:

I got this one from my critique partner, Mary O’Connor (http://www.maryoconnor.net/). She has a recipe page under “Meet Mary”. This one’s surprisingly easy, takes about 30 minutes and the family loves it.

Sausage Broccoli Stir-fry

1 16-oz bag of frozen broccoli florets
1 package kielbasa sausage, sliced into medallion slices (or whatever link sausage you prefer – I like smoked turkey)
instant rice--4-6 servings (I use regular rice)
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
oregano
pepper

Cook broccoli in a small amount of oil until tender. Add sliced sausage. Season with oregano and pepper to taste. Cook until sausage is heated through. Meanwhile, cook instant rice according to directions. Mix Parmesan cheese into sausage/broccoli mixture. Remove from heat. Put serving of rice on plates; place sausage broccoli stir-fry on top of rice. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

If you’ve got a recipe to share – please do.

Now – off to work I go.
Robin

3 comments:

Diane Perkins said...

Hi, Robin,
I'm shocked that I'm contributing, because I'm just not a cook, but this is soooo easy and I invented it!!

Take thin slices of beef and cut into little strips, and brown in a fry pan. Take a package of Knorr/Lipton Asian Sides - Beef Lo Mein and prepare as directed on the package, but in the same fry pan as the beef. Add some vegetable (I use frozen Italian beans) Simmer until done or all the water is absorbed. About 7 minutes
You might want to double the recipe- use two packages- for Four people

You can also substitute chicken for the beef and the Thai Noodle package for the Lo Mein.

Diane

Robin T. Popp said...

Diane -

That sounds really good - and easy. I'll definitely give it a try - thanks.

Robin

Shari Anton said...

LOL! Looks like we have food on our minds this week! I'm going to try both Robin's and Diane's recipes. Yum! Shari