Monday, April 03, 2006

The Gypsy Guide to Blogging

Well, this is it. (Deep breath.) My FIRST TIME.

That’s right…I’m a blog virgin…so be gentle with me!

I thought and thought about what to blog about, and decided that since this is my first ever blog, it’s okay to blog about, well, ME! After all, no one knows me here yet since I’m a new author…

I’ll start with the basics. Most people think I look a lot like Paris Hilton, only with more boobage. This is only partially true….

…okay, It’s not the least bit true. But if I blog about myself (mom, two kids, two cats, gotta run to soccer practice in ten minutes) it will be so very dull.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading about gypsies lately (my books are about gypsies), and they have an interesting relationship with the truth. That is, they tell the truth among themselves, but they have no problem lying to gadje—or outsiders.

This makes me think of blogging. Maybe what I need is to set up my own Gypsy Code to Blogging. A creed to live by, on-line, here to make this go smoothly.

First: You all are part of my clan. So only the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me Paris Hilton.

Second: I will be a true wanderer, a person unafraid to go where my muse takes me (hey—I don’t have a horse and cart—a muse will have to do!).

Third: No matter where my wanderings take me (soccer practice, the orthodontist…) I will return here on the third of every month.

Well, there it is.

Hey, the first time’s not so bad.

Or is it? Let me know what you think!

9 comments:

Megan Crane said...

Hi Diana! Welcome!

Paula Quinn said...

Diana, fantastic blog! My mom used to call me a gypsy. Now that I think of it, I don't know why. Hmmm. Anyway, I do love them, the clothes, the earrings, the whole nomadic thing. Welcome to the clan. It's great to have you among us.

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Great blog, Diana! So, we know your book is about gypsies and looking at the cover on the side, I'm thinking it's contemporary...am I right? Anything else you'd like to tell us about it? Also, when does it come out? (Can you tell I'm avoiding work?)

Diana Holquist said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Yeah, it is a contemporary romance. The main characters are two half-gypsy sisters in Baltimore, one who embraces the gypsy vibe (like you said, Paula--the clothes, the earrings, the fortune-telling) and one who is trying to escape it. The fortune telling sister has one gypsy gift--she can tell you the name of your One True Love as destined by Fate. She never tells her reluctant sister, as she promised not to, but now her sister's One True Love is dying: She has two weeks to find her True Love and experience her love of a lifetime. Oh, did I mention she's engaged to another man? It'll be out in September. The tag line is, "if True Love is a gift, what's the return policy?" I think that captures the book pretty well!

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Cute tag line! And I like the idea of a story involving modern day gypsies. I'll look forward to reading it, Diana!

Diana Holquist said...

I like the tagline too, Eliabeth (my editor, Michele wrote it). But yours isn't too shabby either: "wickedly witty historical romance." Jeez...I get goosebumps just from those four words. Beautiful website, BTW.

Nienke said...

Like the blog and the tagline! I'll have to pick up your book. Welcome to Blogworld!
I look forward to learning more about the gypsy code.

Diane Perkins said...

Good job, Diana!
Diane

Diana Holquist said...

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. I think I can get used to this blogging life...