Saturday, April 01, 2006

Let's hear it-- three cheers that March is OVER

Yessss. March is over. I am so ready for April.

I almost got arrested in March. No kidding.

It was St. Patrick's Day and I flew up to New York to turn in my revisions. The revisions were for my upcoming October release (insert shameless plug here) How to Seduce a Duke, and the production schedule was so tight that if I missed FedEx, which I did, I had to get on a plane and the fly the revisions in.

Of course, my flight was delayed. I would have to be quick. Drop off the manuscript and then race back to LaGuardia to catch my return flight, zoom home to be there before the kids came home from school. This was going to be trick. But I had no other choice.

So back to the almost getting arrested part.

It was St. Patrick's Day and I was in New York--and wasn't wearing green even though I am part Irish. Still, though I risked getting pinched, I was pretty sure I couldn't be arrested for not wearing green.

Turns out you can get arrested for illegally crossing through the middle of St. Patty's Day Parade, the oldest and largest of it's kind in the country. The police don't like it when someone, not wearing green, attempts it. They don't like it at all.

But what's a girl to do when she is standing in a heaving, drunken crowd on one side of 5th Avenue and her publisher's offices are a half block up on the other side?

Police in their dress uniforms (and green shirts, which was very cute) lined 5th Avenue as the longest freakin' parade in history passed through. Crowd control, you know.

Geez. I couldn't get around the parade. Impossible. It stretched as far as I could see in both directions. I just had to cross 5th Avenue.

So, I edged along the crowd scoping, looking for a gap without a police presence on either side of the street. I'm sure I looked suspicious as hell with shifting eyes and my mysterious packet clutched to my chest. But the crowd, with green glitter hats and shamrock temporary tattoos on their faces, seemed too tipsy from their lunchtime green beer to take notice.

And then, my window suddenly appeared--I could dash right between a marching band and an antique engine filled with waving fireman.

I sucked in a breath, punched through the opening in the crowd and ran like a maniac through the parade. I heard a policeman yelling at me from behind. A group of drunken men on the other side cheered me on, and even stepped aside to allow me to disappear into the crowd before the policeman hurrying along the curb could catch me. Yeah, I rocked.

I managed to deliver the revisions just in time.

Time was tight though. I hadn't counted on the parade. And now it seemed if I wanted a cab that could get me to airport, I had to cross the wall of green again. Yes, the police screamed after me, but my spirited Irish friends made clean my escape once more.

And you know what, no one said a word about my not wearing green. Until I got home, and then my youngest pinched me. Hard.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

ROFL!!!!!! What an experience!

MaryF said...

You had to HAND DELIVER your revisions??? What a nightmare!

Lori Wilde said...

Um, Kathie, couldn't you have just e-mailed your revisions? That's what I do. Then again I don't have any cool, almost getting arrested stories.

Lori

ruby55 said...

That really sounds like fun. You certainly made some Irish guys' day.

I'm definitely looking forward to that book.