Saturday, April 15, 2006

Shari's Cookin'

And that’s not normal. Like Robin, I have a lot of time consuming “stuff” I have to do, like work. Unlike Robin, I no longer have to please a family, just myself and my husband, who – thank goodness – isn’t fussy.

We do lots of stir-fry type meals (2 chopped up chicken breasts added to a package of frozen veggies J). I have also discovered the joy of Bertolli’s one pan, two serving, ten minute preparation meals.

However, tomorrow is Easter, and I’ll have a houseful of people ringing the doorbell expecting to be fed. Luckily, they will all be bringing food with them which means less time in the kitchen for me! Yes!!!

Several years ago we began the tradition of replacing a big evening dinner with an early afternoon brunch. Brunch lends itself to variety, and to many dishes that can be made ahead so I’m not in the kitchen All Morning Long!

Below are two of my favorites. Naturally, one is dessert. J

 

STUFFED GRAND MARNIER FRENCH TOAST

12 slices firm white bread

¼ lb butter (approx)

8 oz cream cheese

4 T Grand Marnier or orange juice (divided)

1 ½ t orange zest

8 eggs (or equivalent egg substitute)

2 ½ C milk

2 T sugar

Optional: ½ C chopped pecans or ½ C crumbled cooked bacon

 

Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Lay 6 slices flat, buttered side down, in a lightly buttered 9 x 13 pan.

In small bowl, mix cream cheese, 2 T Grand Marnier, orange zest and pecans. Spread evenly over bread in pan. Place remaining bread slices on top, butter side up.

In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar and remaining Grand Marnier until well-blended. Pour over bread in pan. Refrigerate overnight.

An hour before you are ready to serve, bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Serve with Jam or Maple Syrup or Powered Sugar.

 

CHEESECAKE BARS

2 pkgs Pillsbury crescent rolls

2 8 oz pkgs cream cheese

1 egg (divided)

1 tsp almond extract

1 C sugar (or Splenda)

 

Spread 1 package of crescent rolls in a 9 x 13 pan. In a small bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the egg yolk, almond extract and sugar. Spread the mixture over the dough. Top with the 2nd package of crescent rolls.

Beat the egg white until frothy and spread that over the top.

Mix ¼ C sugar with ½ tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over all.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

 

Beware, the Cheesecake Bars are addictive!

Happy Easter!

Shari

www.sharianton.com

4 comments:

Ilan Kwittken said...

Great recipes!! Thanks. I want to tell you how much I like your blog. I am a make-up artist and stylist. I will give free make-up and skincare tips to anybody that posts a comment in question form. I update daily with all kinds of current trends, etc.
www.spiritualmatters.typepad.com/chicilan

Diane Perkins said...

Shari, those cheesecake bars sound sinful! But easy enough maybe even I could do it!
Diane

Devi Pillai said...

Yes!! A recipe for stuffed French toast!!! I’ve been hunting for a recipe forever!!! I’ve been obsessed with making them! Thanks!

(sorry for all the exclamations, i was very excited)

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Ummm. Okay, Shari, BOTH of these recipes look like dessert to me. Not that that's a bad thing . . .