Monday, April 24, 2006

Who's been sleeping in your bed? by Lori Wilde

We’re always talking about movie hunks and let’s face it, because it’s a visual medium, they are much easier to discuss. But today, I wanted to talk about some of our most beloved literary heroes.

When you first started reading romance, who set your heart pounding? Was it Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre? Or Heathcliff from Wurthering Heights? (I was more of a Rochester fan myself) Or perhaps you were an Austen girl and went for Mr. Darcy? (Personally I was Bronte all the way, preferring dark and brooding and windswept to drawing room etiquette). What about Mr. de Winter from Rebecca? Did you find him exciting? Or merely creepy?

What about now? Who are some heroes who really stand out for you? I’m thinking about Bobbie Tom Denton from Susan Elizabeth Phillips’ Heaven, Texas. His transformation was inspiring. And Roarke from the In Death series by JD Robb. Sophisticated and dangerous, what a combo. A sentimental favor is Roan Sullivan from A Place to Call Home by Deborah Smith. He was so brave and protective. I adored him from the moment he walked onto the page.

What about up and coming authors? What do you think about Dr. Sam from Candace Havens Charmed and Dangerous? Is he a keeper or what? Or what about Kyrin from Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter? Alien, deadly and oh so sexy. What about the men of the Smithson Group from Alison Kent’s series. Super hunks, every single one of them.

I don’t get to read as much as I used to so help me out here. Come on, confess, which romance novel hero has you been curling up in bed with?

9 comments:

Diane Perkins said...

there you go, Lori, getting literary on us. And we were having such fun.....

My first literary crush? Laurie from Little Women. It still makes me mad he didn't wind up with Jo.

Lately? How about Miles Vorkosigan, from Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. And he's a dwarf (or a small person....)

Or Reggie in The Rake and the Reformer!!

Diane

Candy Halliday said...

Lori:

My forever hero character that I'll always be in love with is Tom Wingo from Pat Conroy's "The Prince of Tides." Wow. What a book!

Of course, Nick Nolte playing Tom Wingo in the movie wasn't bad, either. :)

Candy

Michelle Rowen said...

Japhrimel from our own Lilith Saintcrow's Warner release is my latest literary crush. I do have a thing for demons.

Kelley St. John said...

Great question, Lori! And I have two favorites: Linda Howard's John Medina in Kill and Tell and All the Queen's Men and J.D. Robb's Roarke in the In Death series. LOVE THEM!!!

Kelley
www.kelleystjohn.com

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Ooo! ANY of Linda Howard's heroes! I liked the New Orleans guy in DREAM MAN (? title ?)

Oh, and I LOVED Rochester growing up. He was so gone on Jane that he was going to trick her into LIVING IN SIN with him!!! Be still my 12-year-old heart!

Of course he also dressed up as a woman at one point to woo her which was, uh, an unusual romantic technique. Not something I'd recommend for the beginning romance writer--having your hero dress in drag . . .

Diana Holquist said...

I like the sports men...like from Deirdre Martin's Body Check...or anything SEP. What I like about them, of course, are their strong, powerful... intellects.

MaryF said...

LOVED Reggie.

All time favorite, William from Anita Mills's Winter Roses.

Runner up, Jamie Fraser from Outlander.

Ethan from Rising Tides by Nora.

Grayson from Grayson's Surrender by Catherine Mann.

The hero (name escapes me) from Carnal Innocence by Nora.


Fun post!

Candy Havens said...

Lori, I'm so thrilled you mentioned Dr. Sam from Charmed & Dangerous in the company of these wonderful heroes. You rock. I'm a huge fan of Rochester, but my all time favorite hero is Mr. Darcy. I don't care which version of P & P. He's always the man.

Susan Crandall said...

Oh, Lori, I'm Heathcliff all the way.

I have to say one of my all time favorites has to be Jamie Fraser in OUTLANDER. :::sigh:::