Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Dieting and First Drafts don’t mix

I have been on a very strict, low carb, low fat, low calorie, medically supervised, rather expensive diet for over a month now. Inspired by Kirstie Alley’s success, I tried Jenny Craig last year. I love Jenny Craig. The food? Very excellent. The results? Not so much. Unfortunately after three decades of yo-yo dieting reeking havoc with my metabolism, it takes a serious chisel to chip away at my Botticelli bod.

Thus, what I refer to on my personal blog as The Diet To End All Diets™.

And it’s pretty good so far. In just over a month I’ve shed 17 pounds.

However, I am in the midst of writing the first draft of my next book. My typical ritual for getting the words flowing is to drink regular Gingerale, and have a bag of chips available at all times. Hershey’s Kisses are also within arm’s reach. Because Kisses = kisses. There is a method to the madness.

When I’m searching for the right words, I’d reach for a goodie. And the happy, euphoric yum-yum feeling sweeps over me, helping the prose to flow.

Well, that ain’t happening this time.

The largest snack I’m allowed on this diet is 10 Cheese Nips. Ten. Cheese. Nips.

I’ve also discovered Black Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke, which is quite good, but doesn’t hold a candle to sugar-filled Gingerale.

To compliment Kelley’s great recipe from yesterday (and discussion of things that made my stomach grumble with envy)… here is my typical breakfast recipe. Enjoy!

*****************************************

Michelle’s breakfast for the past month:

1 bread stick
1 orange

*****************************************

Deeeee-licious!

But am I complaining? Well, of course I am. That’s what I do. But this is self-imposed, and it’s for a very good reason. Because as a writer, we develop what is known as Writer’s Ass. And I’m sick of mine.

This means that while I’m writing my first draft I can’t indulge myself any way I want to. When I’m feeling stressed about my storyline or characters, I can’t reach for that chocolate. I can’t bribe writer’s block away with a Cheeto.

And I’ve managed to get to page 212 without any of that. Who knew it was possible?

Although, I must admit, my main character is acting a little cranky.

So what about you? Got any diet hints? Any success stories? Please share; I could use a little inspiration.

Michelle Rowen

BITTEN & SMITTEN - Available Now!
ANGEL WITH ATTITUDE - July '06
FANGED & FABULOUS - Spring '07

7 comments:

Kelley St. John said...

Too funny, Michelle! Writer's Ass -- hilarious.

Here are my regular diet-like staples...
Crystal Lite Peach Tea. YUM. I drink an entire pitcher of this stuff everyday and even keep it by my bed at night (I don't understand people who don't wake up thirsty during the night. -- I do; my teens do; my hubby, however, doesn't.)
Another of my favorites -- Splenda. I use it in/on everything instead of sugar. It's great in your coffee (I can't even tell the difference anymore).

I did try Atkins a couple of years ago and lost 20 pounds fairly quickly, which was cool. Afterwards, I never wanted to see another egg or piece of bacon again.

Kelley

Megan Crane said...

I am having Weight Watcher's fatigue at the moment.

So.

Sick.

Of.

Counting.

Points.

But I keep on, because I have found that I gain approximately ten pounds for each book. It's very attractive.

My diet secret? Yerba Matte tea. And lots of it.

Lisa Pulliam said...

I've been using my nifty Magic Bullet to make fruit smoothies for breakfast. Not sure about the results yet, but they're damn good.

And yes, the infomercial is not lying, the Magic Bullet is WONDERFUL.

Megan - I've was doing Weight Watchers too until recently. The point counting did me in. I was successful a couple of years ago, I lost over 20 pounds in a few months. I thought about doing the Core plan but then I had flashbacks of my Atkins days before my wedding. Blech!

If I had a diet secret - I'd be thin, but with a ghetto booty. Oh yeah! lol.

Nicole said...

Well, doing Weight Watchers. yeah, I dislike counting points, but it does work when you do it.

I think the key is having good snacks on hand. I'm such a fan of those 100 calorie packs.

I just had a hearty stew that I made in the crock pot this morning that's six points for a big bowl.

And well....gotta exercise.

but I'm not the poster child for WW. I spent most of this year gaining and losing the same few pounds. But I seem to finally be on the downward slope again.

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Yay, Michelle! 17 pounds in a month is SUPER!!! WOOWOOWOO!!!

Okay my dieting tip for the day: Fresca. I love citrus soda and have been drinking Squirt, Fresca, etc. interchangeably, until about a week ago when I noticed that Fresca is actually calorie-free. For most of you, this is probably not breaking news, but I was pretty darn excited. Usually when I look at the label of something I've been eating/drinking all my life the calorie count goes the OTHER way.

Diana Holquist said...

Here's the only diet tip I've ever seen work: be a man. My husband can eat everything and anything and he's skin and bones.

I was batting around some promo ideas for my new book with a buddy and she suggested that I get a hold of the gypsy outfit the VERY THIN woman is wearing on the cover of my book and wear it to booksignings. Good God. I'd have to drape the scarf over my head so I wouldn't die of embarrassment.

Maybe I'll dress the hubby up in it, though...hmmmm...serve him right...

Good luck on the diet--but don't sweat it. Anyone can be thin. But to write a book...that's something!

Lori Wilde said...

Good Lord woman, you've got to eat protien for breakfast. Repeat after me---eggs are my friend. On Weight watchers one egg has 1 point. Orange and a slice of wheat bread have 3 points. I'm ravenous after fruit and bread but the egg fills me up. I'm not an egg person, but I eat them because I feel so much better when I do. Plus more protein helps you lose weight faster.