Tuesday, July 11, 2006

From Sarah McKerrigan...

A lot of romance readers are cat people.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's because romance fans are sensual creatures by nature.  Let's face it -- there's nothing more sensual than stroking the soft, luxurious fur of a feline.
 
I used to be a cat person.  Not the kind with a pride of 15 mincing around like they own the place.  Just one nice beast at a time.
 
When my daughter came along, she was hardwired for pets.  We raised rats, hamsters, goldfish, anoles, salamanders, toads, turtles, crayfish, scorpions, frogs, fighting fish, a garter snake, a tarantula, and even a Madagascar cockroach.  But no cats.
 
We talked about getting a dog.  I didn't want a dog.  I was a cat person.  Cat people despise dogs.  Dogs dig and scratch and lick and bark and jump on you.  Worst of all, they don't bury their poop.  Cats are far more dignified.
 
But after a lot of "please, Mommys" and "I promise I'll take care of its," I finally caved.  We went to Little Angels Pug Rescue and picked up our own furry monster to bring home.
 
He must have known at once I was a cat person and that he had his work cut out for him.  No sooner did he bound into the car than he chose my lap, where he settled as sedately as any Persian.  He didn't bark.  He didn't scratch.  He didn't lick my face.
 
When we got home, he trotted around the house, exploring, careful not to lift his leg until he was outdoors.  He didn't dig up my pansies.  He didn't put his muddy paws on my clean Levis.
 
He was, in short, as polite as a cat.
 
He's not catlike all the time, of course.  He growls at the mailman.  He has to make the requisite canine circles before he lies down.  And you don't dare breathe the words "go for a walk" unless you mean it.
 
But he's not your average dog.  He knows he's living with a feline fancier.  In fact, sometimes I suspect my beloved Worf may actually be a cat in a pug costume.
 
Be kind to your pets!
 
Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night!
LADY DANGER
Riding to the rescue April 2006

4 comments:

Diane Perkins said...

Oh, no! You've gone over to the "other" side. My sister did, too. She has three Yorkies. I can't figure it out. If you want a pet that small, why not get a cat? You don't have to walk a cat and they do bury their poop.
Diane

Megan Crane said...

I've never liked cats. I only liked dogs. I always thought cats were weird and untamed and had alien eyes.

So, naturally, now I have three.

I still think they're weird and untamed and have alien eyes, except now I've been sucked in, so I find these things cute!

Lisa Pulliam said...

I'm definitely a dog person. Loyalty and not fighting for affection are two primary factors. Also, I read an article that if you died in your home, cats will eventually turn on you for food. A dog, however, will stand by you and be loyal until they too died of starvation. Some may say that dogs are stupider than cats, but I kindly respond that I don't have to worry about my little angel eating me upon my death. :-)

Diane Perkins said...

Lisa,
Obviously whoever said that about cats eating you never tried to get a cat to eat the new cat food you bought a case of because it was on sale.....And my "watch cat" foiled the boys who were toilet papering the neighbor's house. He woke us up. The neighbor's dog didn't. None of the neighbors' dogs sounded the alert. But my cat did.