Saturday, July 15, 2006

Where in the world ....?

I have to tell you about my new toy. It’s called a Clustrmap, and it’s so waaaaay cool!

Go to: www.sharianton.comwww.sharianton.com

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you’ll see a map of the world with several red dots on it. The dots represent visitors to my web site! If you click on the Zoom icon, you’ll see a larger map that gives a bit more detail.

Due to some coding thingy that I don’t understand (and don’t really want to) the program doesn’t record Every visitor to the site, but it records enough hits that I can cross off one fear from my list of many. You see, I have a counter on the web site, and I always suspected that the counter rose in direct proportion to the number of times I’m on the Internet because I use my web site as my home page. To my delight, I now know that people other than me actually visit my web site. Granted, I have friends and family scattered all over the US, but there are several lovely dots in states where I don’t know a soul. Honest!

As for the foreign countries, well, Australia is easy, and so is England. But now I have to get a really good world atlas to identify some of the others. And I suspect the dot in SE Wisconsin will grow larger (that will be me) with each daily update. And I’m really glad the map is updated only ONCE a day, or I would be checking it every five minutes and get nothing done.

Shari Anton, finding new, fun ways to procrastinate.

MIDNIGHT MAGIC, Available Now

TWILIGHT MAGIC, December 2006

7 comments:

Diane Perkins said...

This sounds very cool, Shari. I don't have a counter on my website and I'm afraid the cluster map and counter would show that it doesn't get the traffic I'd hope for! Maybe I should muster up my courage.
Diane

Paula Quinn said...

Shari, I love this! I've downloaded it. Thanks :)

Shari Anton said...

Diane, you shouldn't be afraid to measure your traffic -- just don't compare your numbers to anyone elses. Easier said than done! :)

Paula, glad you like you like the map. However, beware! Who knew this would turn into a geography lesson?!

Paula Quinn said...

Shari,
Not a problem. I have a strange facination with maps, atlases, globes, you name it. If it's geographical I love it!

Manuelita said...

That is cool! Wow, you had a visitor from Africa. I live in Southern California. So I wasn't sure if I was part of the big dot on the west coast or the smaller one beneath it. After clicking "map with smaller clusters", is there a way to enlarge the map even more?

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Whoa, Shari! You've found, like, a totally new way to waste time and procrastinate--always a good thing for a professional writer. Cool! I need one of those thingys.

Shari Anton said...

Manuelita -- After there are more hits (and I don't remember how many) we should be able to zoom in on a region. Seems to me the map has to be very crowded before it allows the more detailed zoom.

LOL, Elizabeth! Yes, Procrastinators R Us! Like I said, it's a good thing they update it ONCE a day.