Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Books I read as a kid

Though I have a huge library of books (and about 30 books larger after Atlanta!) I wouldn't say I'm a voracious reader. When I was a kid... voracious didn't begin to cover it. I loved to read. And at that time I excused crappy writing because I really didn't know any better. Not that I know any better now, I am simply more aware of flaws. Or maybe I'm not.

But I digress.

Here are a few books I read as a kid (or a not so young kid) that influenced me. Made me want to be a writer and create such cool new worlds. Interesting characters. Etcetera.


The "Adventure" series by Enid Blyton. Which didn't have such a cool cover when I read it. I remember there being a group of friends, a couple of siblings. A widowed mother. Um. A weird older guy who helped them and he had a cockatoo named KiKi. I totally wanted a cockatoo. I still do. Sort of. And they'd go on adventures and get into trouble and get the bad guy. Big fun.


Ah, Sweet Valley High. I remember being around for the launch of this series. I think I was in grade seven. It was awesome. I wanted to be Jessica, of course. The cool, popular twin. Rather than Elizabeth who always wanted to do the "right thing." Boring! And check out this guy on the cover. Nice mustache, buddy. I think he was supposed to be the "older guy." Right.


Trixie Beldon totally kicked Nancy Drew's butt. I read a bunch of these. I don't remember much about them other than the fact that they Rocked. I think they've recently been reissued with way cooler covers. Trixie looks more like a teen model than a tomboy now.


L.J. Smith's Nightworld series is absolutely brilliant. It is paranormal romance for the YA audience. I discovered it just as I was trying to find my writer's voice. YA still has a huge place in my heart and my first finished project (and frankly, all my writing since) was inspired by her writing. However, I read it as an adult (sorta). Not a kid. And that cover copy? "One Good Witch. One Bad Witch. One Human Boy." Come on. Fabulous.

So how about you? Have any books you remember very fondly from being a kid? Or if you're a writer, was there a book that sparked your creative juices?

5 comments:

MaryF said...

I was a Trixie girl, too! I loved that her stories were set all over the country, even though she was just a regular girl!

I also loved Little House books as a girl.

And horse books. My favorite was Dark Sunshine.

And the teachers loved me when the Scholastic book orders came around - I ordered a ton!

Megan Crane said...

I knew I loved you!

I just found my old Trixie Belden books. I loved her!

I loved Enid Blyton too-- though I preferred the Famous Five books. I wanted to be George, and have lashings of ginger beer whilst eating feasts out of picnic hampers.

And, obviously, I adored Sweet Valley High. It was the WB network in book form!

Susan D said...

Trixie was absolutely my hero. The Thinking Girl's Nancy Drew.

And she still is. In fact, she's the basis for the heroine of my second (unpubbed) romance. (The hero is Regan.)

Diane Perkins said...

I liked Cherry Ames better than Nancy Drew, although I was pretty fond of Ned and I always wanted a roadster.
Reading Little Women was a momentus experience for me. I hated the way it ended. Still do! Jo should have wound up with Laurie! I even had a Madame Alexander "Beth" doll. Stupidly, I gave her away in my teens. What was I thinking?

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

I looooved Anne McCaffery's DRAGONSINGER books--the girl in it had miniature dragons as pets! Then I found her DRAGONRIDER series which had dragon SEX, although the first time I read it, I must've been kinda young because I didn't realize they were having sex. Figured it out on the second reading, though.