Friday, August 18, 2006

ROMANCING THE BLOG

It occurred to me this morning that every time I sit down to blog I feel as if I'm on a blind date.

Seriously.

Here I am, sitting at my computer, trying to come up with something witty or intelligent that might capture your attention, yet I'm already imagining you rolling your eyes and snapping your fingers for the waiter to hurry and bring the check.

And then another thought crossed my mind.

What if we Warner Women had a cheat sheet? What if a few of you sympathetic blog frequenters out there would take time to share your definition of what makes a great blog?

This inquiring mind would LOVE to know.

Is it getting inside a writer's head that appeals to you? (A scary thought, since one minute inside my head would probably have you looking around for the Tylenol.)

Or ... are you most interested in our upcoming books? The craft of writing, maybe? Tidbits about our personal lives?

The most important writing relationship authors have is the one we establish with our readers. Romancing the blog gives us a perfect opportunity to take that connection beyond the written page, but it sure would be nice to have a little help from you.

However, to be on the safe side, below is a list of few things I'd rather (ahem) not discuss:

1. Why I write romantic comedy instead of suspense when the suspense market is consistently so HOT - hint: my idea of suspense is waiting to see if my bra strap is going to hold all day without snapping.

2. Sir Isaac Newton's Law of Gravitation - (see NO. 1. above) GOT IT, OKAY!

3. That my husband's eighty-year-old aunt fainted when she read the sexual fantasies in my new August release YOUR BED OR MINE?.

4. That I still have my day job for more than just the "social contact."

5. Why Oprah hasn't chosen any of my books for her book club.

Anything else is pretty much up for grabs. 

So, here's your chance to give us some input on what interests you most when you visit a group author blog. Hit us with your ideas and your questions, PLEASE!

I guarantee you we Warner Women will deliver. :)

Candy Halliday

4 comments:

Kimber said...

As a reader,
I'm not too interested about the writing process (I don't read autobiographies).
I like to read about whatever makes that author unique.
So if witty dialogue is the author's forte, I like to read about interesting conversations she has overheard.
If she's a historical author, the juicy bits of history that she's uncovered in her research.
That sort of thing.

Diane Perkins said...

Gee, Kimber actually answered the question! That's great. Because I blog in two days.

Candy Halliday said...

THANK YOU so much Kimber, for giving us some feeback! And by the way, I LOVE your name. :)

Diane just mentioned that she blogs in two days, so I hope she'll tell you the exciting new "unique" thing about her, regarding her recent trip to the Romance Writers of America national convention in Atlanta.

I don't want to steal Diane's thunder, but we're all SO proud of her!

Candy

Jackie said...

I enjoy reading, not so much about the writing process as kimber said, but more about the writers take on ordinary situations in life - a fresh point of view. I love some enlightened thoughts on mundane events. I'm also a sucker for photos accompanying a blog. :)