Thursday, August 03, 2006

What I Did While Everyone Else Was at the 2006 Romance Writers of America Conference in Atlanta

1. Put on my red, floor-length, rhinestone gown and strolled down my suburban block handing out my business card to the neighbors

2. Got stinking drunk in my kitchen and told my orange cat that if he didn’t give me a bigger advance for my next book, I was walking (he said yes!).

3. Googled “RWA Conference 2006” 47,693 times

4. On the 47,692nd search, discovered that Diane Gaston won a Rita (the VERY prestigious award from Romance Writers of America) for Best Regency Romance for A Reputable Rake. Of course, we at Warner Forever know her by another name (she might have written a Warner book called, The Marriage Bargain, hint, hint) …but still, we’re awfully proud!

5. “Did Lunch.” Baloney sandwiches, mostly. Leftover pasta. Went to Wendy’s once.

6. Moved from upstate New York to Philadelphia in the 100-degree heat and lost my sweet little gray cat. (Darn cat probably went to Atlanta like everyone else…)

7. Added up all the money I saved by not going to Conference, then spent it all on chocolate-mocha double scoops at Ben and Jerry’s feeling sorry for myself.

8. Thought, “well, it’s probably even HOTTER in Atlanta than here. Good thing I’m not missing this historic heat-wave in an air-conditioned hotel…”

9. Served my family rubber chicken and peas for a week.

10. Was really, really sorry I missed everyone and vowed I’d make it next year…if my cat comes back…

8 comments:

Diane Perkins said...

Diana! I'm so upset about your lost kitty! How awful.
Stupid cat. I hope he/she is discovered by neighbors and returned to you. I lost a cat once. It jumped out a second story apt window and was never again seen and I searched everywhere.

Diane Gaston thanks you for the kind words about her RITA. I'm so envious of her....She's really lording it over me and I have massive revisions of the next Warner book to do and it is getting annoying! Needless to say, she is very happy.

Please keep us informed about your kitty.

Oh, Atlanta was not hot--not by my standards, anyway. It was in the 80s the whole time and a little breezy. I could walk outside in my conference long sleeves and be perfectly comfortable.
Just thought you'd like to know.....

Diana Holquist said...

Diane,

Losing a cat is very sad...but this guy's been lost before. Once, he got stuck inside a neighbor's house and they didn't know he was there for a week. He just used their cats' litter box and ate their food. The people just COULDN'T figure out why their cats were pooping in the bathroom sink! Ugh. Once, he disappeared for three weeks, then turned up like nothing had happened.

I go out looking for him every night and the new neighbors think I'm nuts. Oh well.

Anyway, congrats again, to uh, that Diane Gaston lady. Whoever she is. What an honor!

Kelley St. John said...

Diana,
I really wish I could have met you in Atlanta, but we'll definitely get together next year in Dallas! You'll be there, yes?

Kelley

www.kelleystjohn.com

Diane Perkins said...

Diana,
Is the kitty lost in your new place or your old place? Somehow I'm less worried about him after hearing of him moving into your neighbor's house. Too funny!

Nicole said...

Awww...I can't believe you lost your kitty! I'd be devastated. *hugs*



But hey, you DO have this book with a totally awesome cover coming out soon. That's gotta count for something. I really want to read it.

Diana Holquist said...

Thanks everyone for worrying about my dear kitty. I keep reminding myself that he's a tough guy--he always comes back.

He got lost at our new house...I wonder, could he walk 223 miles to our old house? I wouldn't put it past him.

I hope I'll be in Dallas next year for the conference. Actually, I hope to be in New Jersey for that conference...anyone going?

--Diana
http://www.dianaholquist.com

Diane Perkins said...

I'm planning on going to New Jersey, Diana!

Diana Holquist said...

Oh, goodie, Diane. Actually, that conference was where I first met you...seems like ages ago.

--Diana
http://www.dianaholquist.com