Tuesday, September 12, 2006

From Sarah McKerrigan...

Sometimes I wish I was one of those writers with compelling idiosyncracies.  You know what I mean.  An author with rock star requirements.
 
Debussy on the CD player.  Soft velvet pillows arranged just so.  The scent of lavender-vanilla incense on the air.
 
Wouldn't it be the epitome of artistic temperament to scream, "I can't write like this--I don't have my double latte with extra foam and a sprinkle of cinnamon!"
 
I know an author who writes in her nightgown.  Another is inspired by medieval music.  One of my friends does her best writing by candlelight.  Even Nora Roberts has her trademark soft drinks and cigarettes.
 
Me?  Nothing.
 
Sometimes I drink coffee.  Sometimes green tea.  I always buy a new coffee cup when I start a new book, so that's something.  But I seldom remember to drink out of it.
 
I can't write to music.  I have a degree in music.  If I put music on, I inevitably start analyzing the chord progressions and picking out counterpoint lines.  Or worse, singing along.
 
I've tried scented candles.  I LOVE scented candles.  But I never remember to light them, or if I do, I forget to blow them out, and then I get wax all over my desk.
 
Pillows?  Forget it.  Pillows are for sleeping.  Five minutes in a comfy nest of cushions, and I'm slumped over my laptop, making Z's.
 
I suppose if anyone asks, I'll just have to make up some quirky idiosyncracy.  Maybe a bowl of M&Ms with the green ones picked out...
 
Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night!
LADY DANGER
Riding to the rescue April 2006
CAPTIVE HEART
Coming for you October 2006

7 comments:

Diane Perkins said...

Sarah,
I used to write to Regency era music-CD's I bought in England shortly after I sold my first book. But then I had the house repainted and a new bed in the bedroom and I lost my CD's! Because I had other books to write in this last year, I toughed it out.
Yesterday, when looking for a cat hiding from his medicine, I looked under the bed. My CD's!!! Yay!

Michelle said...

I need non-diet Gingerale and Cheetos to get me into the beginning of a new book. And silence. Lots of silence, puncuated by the evil eye given to those who disturb me.

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Michelle, you writing wussy!

HA! If I had to wait for quiet and not being disturbed, NOTHING would get done. I've written while quizzing my youngest on her spelling test. While dinner's cooking (or burning, as the case may be.) While three dogs are all whining at me for no particular reason (the dogs are spoiled.) AND while my darling hubby is asking where his clean socks are (this is a PhD and he needs MY help to find his socks?)

Sometimes I daydream about how much writing I might get done if I lived on a desert island . . .

Diana Holquist said...

Sarah,

I don't have any idiosyncracies either. I mean, I definitely have to have my two plastic wombats and my gold deer on top of my computer screen for good luck. And even though I got a laptop, I keep my Sony monitor on my desk just so this menagerie can stay put. But I don't think that's weird at all.

Now diet Ginerale and Cheetos...that's wacked...

--Diana
http://www.dianaholquist.com

Rikz said...

I find it so interesting that every author has different quirks when it comes to writing. Some cute, some downright weird ;-) .. hehe.. and others leave you wondering, "She can write doing that?!"

I don't write but when reading I have to have absolute quiet to read sometimes. When scenes are so intense and people are talking around me, I have to either stop reading and wait to get home, or if I am home I retreat my bedroom. I know friends who could read with music too or the family screaming around them...

I guess it works both ways then, huh? ;-) Can you imagine needing chocolate every time you started a book!? Now I don't know whether that would be heaven or hell! Lol..

Sisterly Advisors said...

You erased my blog. Because it was not flattering you erased it. Unbelievable.

She who erased your comment said...

It was a rude comment that was meant to be hurtful to a lighthearted post. And that's right, I removed it.