Sunday, October 15, 2006

Shari's take on the Hero Shot

We've talked a lot about good looking men on this blog! Thanks to all who've posted pictures! They sure do brighten a day, don't they?

I have some pictures for you, too, but in a slightly different context. As you'll see in a moment, I'm an unapologetic Lord of the Rings fan. I've read all of the books a few times, and was in love with Aragorn long before Viggo Mortensen brought him to life (spectacularly) in the movies.

Because he's everything a hero should be. Someone willing to face up to the challenge presented to him and emerge victorious. And in my humble opinion, there are at least three places in the romance novel that require a close-up view that I've come to call the Hero Shot.

One is his introduction. In LOTR we meet the hero long before the heroine emerges, which is necessary to the story. In my books, I like to do a Hero Shot from the heroine's point of view, see what she sees, which is usually yummy.



Ah, here he is. Mysterious, in the shadows, intriguing! Check out that strong chin. And he's playing with fire. Aren't you curious enough to want him to lift the chin so you can see the eyes? Oh, yes, he has gorgeous eyes.

The second "must" Hero Shot is during the love scene.



This shot makes my heart go pitter pat. There's something about their lips being a whisper apart (anticipation?) that's oh so romantic. Now don't you just know our hero is going to do his utmost to satisfy his lady? Of course he is.

The last Hero Shot is, of course, our hero as hero, facing the challenge. Naturally, because I write medieval historical romance, several of my heroes have been known to draw a sword in defense of all that matters. Here Aragorn leads an army in what is sure to be the final battle for Middle Earth.



It won't be an easy fight, but you know in your heart he can't lose!

Want more? Go to www.theonering.com and peruse the Gallery. A lovely way to spend an hour, or more. And after you're done, take a slide over to www.sharianton.com and enter the contest to celebrate the December 2006 release of TWILIGHT MAGIC, in which I hope I gave Darian some great Hero Shots.

Have a favorite Hero Shot? Tell us about it! On Oct. 22nd I'll choose 2 readers from those who comment to receive an advanced reading copy of TWILIGHT MAGIC.

Shari Anton
www.sharianton.com
TWILIGHT MAGIC, Book 2 in the Magic trilogy, Dec. 2006

13 comments:

Rikz said...

Shari,

He is divine. I love the love scene shot. Gave me stomach flips too...

Thanks for the great blog.

Maureen said...

Al Pacino from The Godfather but I don't know if he's a hero or a villian.

Kathleen said...

Shari, that book looks great!

A scene w/ Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" showed a hero's shot.

Diane Perkins said...

How about the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera. His hero shot is in the mirror!

LadyVampire2u said...

Some great hero shots already mentioned and shown. But one of my favorite hero's on screen is Wolverine for X-Men. Hugh Jackman is wonderful in the role. In the lastest third film there is a great hero shot of Wolverine at the end of the film when he confronts Jean Grey/ Phoenix.

CrystalG said...

Mel Gibson in The Patriot.

sharon said...

Liam Neeson in Rob Roy. That photo is a beaut. He would represent the ultimate hero in that shot.

ellie said...

Patrick Stewart in X-Men has what it takes. He looks wonderful!

alissa said...

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. The shot is so incredible. Captures the man.

joelle said...

Keifer Sutherland as Jack Bauer, in "24". I can take any shot of him any day.

Dannyfiredragon said...

Hi Shari,

I just love Aragorn!

Another favorite is Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in X-Men

Anonymous said...

Daniel Day Lewis in The Last of the Mohicans.

Shari Anton said...

Oh, there are some great Hero Shots here. I recognize all of them except those from X-Men. Guess I'll have to check it out!