Friday, November 24, 2006

Black Friday

I've never in my life gone shopping on the Thursday after Thanksgiving. I never saw the appeal of having my arms ripped off by an angry mob simply to fight over consumer products for a few dollars off.

Today, in the wee hours of the morning, all that changed.


My husband and I who have, for most of our lives, been nightshift workers, don't normally go to bed until 2 a.m. (We don't have kids if you're wondering how we've never had to break the habit.) This morning, instead of going to bed at our usual time, I looked over at my husband and said, "You wanna go to Walmart?" (We live in a small town and Walmart is about the only place to shop.)

The trip was initially supposed to be for Nyquil to vanquish the cold I've been battling, but once we got to the store and saw all the pallets stocked with bargains, I was in. At 2 a.m. there weren't many shoppers around yet. We got two carts loaded up, then spent the next three hours wandering around the store watching as people began to filter in By 5 a.m. the store was packed but we were the second cart in line to check out.

Actually, the whole experience was quite painless. (If you don't count spending three hours wandering around the store with a cold.) I only saw one lady act like an ass. Most people were tolerant and I even saw an act of kindness where one person who'd bought a TV just because it was a good buy, give it to someone who was terribly disappointed because all the TV's were in the carts of people who got there long before five.

We did get some excellent buys and I hope the people on my list will enjoy their gifts.

So how about you? Do you reguarly go shopping on Blakc Friday? Did you go out today? How were the crowds in your area? What makes you shop on this day? Do you consider the crowds worth the bargains? Have you seen people act terrible? Have you seen acts of kindness?

Have a great Black Friday!

Lori

6 comments:

Theresa N. said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Lori!! Black Friday..if it's a bargain, I'm there. This morning we stood in line for Target. We don't go every year just when we see something we want.

Diane Perkins said...

I used to go to a lovely craft fair on Black Friday. Didn't this year, though--a deadline looms.

Michelle Rowen said...

Since I'm in Canada, Black Friday is not something I've experienced. The only thing similar would probably be Boxing Day which is December 26th.

It sounds stressful, though. I think I'd rather stay inside and watch DVDs.

Shari Anton said...

I never shop on Black Friday. I always get great bargains the week before Christmas, when the retailers are getting desperate. Hope your cold is better, Lori!

Diana Holquist said...

Never. Ever. Ever. Just thinking about those crowds gives me the heebie-jeebies. That's why I write--so I don't have to actually leave the house!

I stay far, far away from the stores and do most of my shopping on-line and by mail.

Unless, of course, it's a book store...there I get a little carried away...

--Diana
Make Me a Match, in stores now
Sexiest Man Alive, coming fall 07

plastic pallet said...

"The trip was initially supposed to be for Nyquil to vanquish the cold I've been battling, but once we got to the store and saw all the pallets stocked with bargains, I was in. "

Pallets make merchandise appear more attractive then on neatly, organized shelves.