Monday, November 20, 2006

Thank You Readers by Diane Perkins

Thank You, Readers!

In honor of our Thanksgiving Day holiday, I just want to say a public Thank You to all our readers.

There is a special joy in hearing from readers who say they enjoyed my books. I still marvel at those readers to take the time to tell me details that they loved, lines that I had written or a certain story element. You know who you are. I thank you!

Thank you also to the readers who have not written to me. If you have purchased my book and like it enough to buy another one by me, I am happy! You are what make it possible for me to write books, because, without the profit your dollars provide, the publishers would not publish any books.

As a matter of fact, thank you to all readers of books! These days we have so many other ways of entertaining ourselves (reading blogs, for example) that there might not be as much time spent reading books. So thank you for every instance in which you pick up a book and get lost in a story, or a biography, or any kind of book!

My friend Julie always says that the reader participates in the story by picturing the story in his or her mind, by feeling the emotions conveyed in the story. You readers out there are in partnership with us authors. You are an integral part of what we do. Purchasing the books might earn us money and keep food on the table, but it is more than that. When you sit down to read a book, your mind brings the story to life and your emotions bring meaning to what we do.

So thank you from the bottom of my heart.

What other demands or entertainments keep you from reading books?
What makes you pick up a book instead of watching TV, surfing the Net, playing video games, etc?

Cheers!
Diane

3 comments:

Judy T said...

What keeps me from reading? My own writing! LOL! Interestingly enough, of late, if I need a break from writing, I pick up a book. Even if I have the TV on, I have a book close at hand. And yes, I frequently find the book more interesting.

Diane Perkins said...

Judy, my writing keeps me from reading , too!

Dannyfiredragon said...

Books are the best way for me to relax. I go nowhere without a book, no matter if it is to a doc appointment, a train ride or to university.