Sunday, December 17, 2006

Shari's Favorite things

One of my favorite parts of Christmas is hauling up the boxes of ornaments and collectables. Over the past 35 years my husband and I have collected several boxes worth of decorations and, well, just fun things. Here are a few of my favorites.

My two children are now adults, but I kept their red felt, white fur-trimmed, Christmas stockings. I still hang them from the fireplace mantle, and there are now two little stockings attached to my daughter’s, which my grandsons think are pretty cool.

A wall hanging of a snowman in his stovepipe hat, made by my mother.

A quart canning jar stuffed full of cinnamon-apple potpourri and a string of multi-colored lights, which marvelously scents the kitchen when plugged in, made by my oldest grandson.

A nativity scene I bought when I fell in love with the joyful look on Mary’s face. Somehow the set has survived children’s slippery hands and large dogs’ excited tails – no missing pieces, not a chip anywhere. Truly blessed!

A large, yellow M&M with brown antlers and a red nose, that scolds whoever reaches into the candy dish on which it stands.

A snowman dressed in a Green Bay Packers jersey and a green and gold knit hat, that plays Jingle Bells when you squeeze his hand.

I also have a collection of angels and nutcrackers that I’m having a bit of trouble finding shelf space for this year.

Such are the things that make me smile when I take them out of the box and spread them throughout the house. I’m sure you have your favorites, too! I’d love to hear about them!

Shari Anton

TWILIGHT MAGIC, Available Now!

See the Book Teaser at www.sharianton.com

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

MaryF said...

My favorites -

The Fitz and Floyd Santa my mom bought me

My Christmas plates - beautiful poinsettias!

The Christmas mugs my grandmother bought me

The crocheted Mr. and Mrs. Claus and their friend the angel that my grandmother made

The gold scrolled reindeer I got for such a good deal at Bed, Bath and Beyond

My Christmas bowls and glasses

My nutcracker collection, mostly from Target the day after Christmas

I love Christmas decorations!

Shari Anton said...

Lovely list Mary! I'll have to remember to scoot over to Target the day after Christmas -- like I really need another nutcracker.