Monday, February 12, 2007

From Sarah McKerrigan...


Valentine's Day = Chocolate

I know very few romance authors who DON'T have a thing for chocolate. It kind of makes sense. Chocolate triggers the release of endorphins. So does being in love.

Everyone has their favorite form of chocolate.

When I was a kid, I liked Nestle's Quick. I mixed it carefully, then drank the milk down just to get to the fudgy goo at the bottom. With Oreos, I'd gladly pass on the creamy filling to get to the cookie outside, which is why I don't understand the Double Stuf concept. Reese's? Yum.

Once I learned how to bake, I became Queen of the Chocolate Chip Cookie, a title I retain to this day with a cranberry-studded version at Christmas, a dried apricot delight, and one laced with espresso powder that will have you bouncing off the walls.


There's nothing quite so delightful for a Gemini like myself than the box of assorted chocolate. Yes, you get those nasty molasses bon-bons and mediocre honeycomb crunches, but to my mind, it makes the walnut chews and mocha truffles all that much tastier in contrast. Whitman's is a waste of money. Ditto for Russell Stover. See's, a West coast institution, is good. So is Godiva. But the best comes from Europe. There's nothing as rich and delicious as Lindt or Teuscher.

For ice cream, Ben & Jerry's new Vermonty Python is fabulous, and I always go for the homemade brownies at bake sales. If I'm trying to lose weight, I'll settle for a banana dipped in Hershey's syrup or a few chocolate-covered Altoids.

My husband is a minimalist. He chews on chocolate nibs, bitter pieces of raw chocolate. It's kind of like crunching on coffee beans. Bleah.


Then there's Nutella. It's in a class by itself. Considered de rigeur for French children, who slather it on bread for a snack, I like to refrigerate it and eat a naked spoonful. But my best Nutella experience was walking recently arm in arm with my husband under the Eiffel Tower on a freezing night, sharing a steaming Nutella crepe, hot off the griddle.

What about you? What's your favorite form of chocolate?




Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night!
LADY DANGER - Riding to the rescue April 2006
CAPTIVE HEART - Coming for you October 2006
KNIGHT'S PRIZE - Stealing your heart April 2007

12 comments:

Lois said...

I'm a person who pretty much thinks, if it's chocolate, I like it. But I won't eat coconut filled for example, because I don't like coconut. . . or chocolate covered cherries. . . but for the most part out there, if it's chocolate, I'll eat it! :)

Lois

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Droste pastilles! The orange flavored ones. They're so cute in their little cardboard tube!

Dannyfiredragon said...

I am a Nutella addict, I just love it. But I also love chocolate ice cream.

Rika said...

Sarah,

My favorite topic!

I just discovered last month that Cadbury's doesn't make Flake in the USA! I can't believe that. What a crime! LOL...

I love any kind of chocolate and go through phases. For weeks I could be addicted to Flake's and then it changes to Aero Mint or any one of these:

http://www.nestle.co.za/products/confec_countlines.asp

LOL...

Kimber said...

Nutella on crepe fan myself...with some crushed almond on top. Also Cadbury's from England (very different from Cadbury's in the rest of the world). Lion bars used to be my favorite though they're more difficult to find now.

I travel constantly the world over. Instead of getting my present loving Mom t-shirts, I bring her home chocolate. Her fave is...Ethel M's. Yep, good ol' American chocolate. I travel to Vegas at least once a year to pick up a box.

Her least favorite was the chocolate and green pea bar I brought back from Hong Kong.

Judy T said...

Lindt chocolate is definitely my favorite. And I agree that the cream filling in an Oreo is unnecessary, until they came out with the chocolate cream filling. Darn, now I'm hungry, even though I just ate breakfast. Guess I'll have to go hunt down some chocolate...

Meljprincess said...

It can be in any form. I JUST LOVE IT! :-)

Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

I lov e Cadbury's from Ireland or England. It's orgasmic. And Lindt's Lindor chocolates are lovely for Valentine's Day. For ice'cream it's Ben and Jerry's phish food

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Ooo! Ethel M's is very good--kinda old fashioned like something you think of a suiter giving his sweetheart like 50 years ago.

Oh, and chocolate chocolate Oreos, although my very favorite are the peanut butter ones.

But green peas in chocolate is just not right...

Carol said...

The world's best chocolate is made right in my hometown. It's Debrand's. The dark chocolate raspberries and cream is my favorite.

www.debrand.com

Michelle said...

My entire right thigh is made from Nutella. I love the stuff.

I also love Godiva truffles. In fact, I think I'm going to buy myself some today.

Shari Anton said...

I can't write a book without peanut M&M's. True, Cadbury is high on my list, as is Godiva. But for pure melt in your mouth, raise the endorphin level pleasure, give me a big bag of M&M's!

Shari, who's never tried Nutella but will remedy that oversight on the next shopping trip.