Friday, March 02, 2007

Bloggers Anonymous by Diana Holquist

Blogging is a drug. I'm sure of it.

I started out with this one little blog. Once a month. No biggie. It's not like it was a habit.

But in all my on-line writer's groups, the chant is: blog or die! The peer pressure is awful.

Before I knew it, I had started to blog on my website. Not a real blog mind you--not the heavy stuff. Just a little post on the first page every day. I was in control. It wasn't a problem. Just recreational.

But then, in a post-blog low, I started another blog. This one was one of my characters blogging, I told myself. Not me. It's not like I have a problem. Ignoring my family. My work. Pushing my sweet little cat off the desk in a rage as he interferes with my mad typing.

When I found myself standing in front of the fridge, chugging milk from the carton because I didn't have time to make a proper cup of tea because I had to check my sitemeter, again, I knew I had a problem.

But it was too late. I made myself a myspace page and started blogging there.

Before I knew it, my character Amy had her own myspace page. And she was not only getting more hits than me, but she was getting HIT ON like mad.

I'm not sure people got that she was fictional...or maybe, these people's lives are all fiction, so what difference did it make?

In any case, my life was out of control.

Is there help? A support group? What is with this need for constant contact with strangers?

Maybe I don't want to get started on my next manuscript? Or tackle the 400-page manuscript sitting forlornly on my dining room table, waiting for me to answer author queries?

I don't know the answers yet. I'm going to race to my blogs and blog about it though....

--Diana
Make Me a Match, in stores now
Sexiest Man Alive, coming Oct 07

6 comments:

Lois said...

Alas, while I have a favorites folder of blogs that I visit everyday, I don't have a blog and just don't have an interest for it. Technically, on my site I do have a blogger page, but I use it only for site updates, for anyone who actually is intersted in my new and lousy collages/icons that I do in Paint Shop Pro (LOL), and seeing how that made it really empty, I post the books I've read when I think of it and my own personal rating. But I'm not someone who's blog people read, so it's okay that I might only update it once a month. :) I'm just not a very talkative person, so what email I get back to and what blogs I actually do post to is enough. :)


Lois

Diana Holquist said...

Lois,

Now, see, after spending hours and hours bleary-eyed in front of my computer, researching blogs, you don't have to tell me that you don't blog--I can tell from your post. Where's your signature line with all your blogs and websites listed as html code? Where are all the keywords embedded in your post over and over? Where is the link directly to all your favorite blogs? My God Woman! I'll have to come over there and...

Oh. Sorry. I got a little carried away. See, that's what I mean about this blog thing! It's a problem...

--Diana
http://www.dianaholquist.com
Make Me a Match, in stores now
Sexiest Man Alive, coming Oct 07

Lois said...

LOLOLOL Well, my email sig tag area has a holiday graphic with my name on top, then the links to my two sites (which one of these days I'd like to put together into one) and underneath is my lovely bigger Phantom graphic. :) But anyway, I have hard enough time keeping up with those sites -- all the holiday pages are pretty much the same from last year or beyond. LOL :)

Lois

Diana Holquist said...

Lois,

Ah, so you've escaped the sickness. Congratulations. I still break out in hives when I hear a phrase like, the holiday pages are the same as last year.

But I think I found a cure: deadlines.

Yesterday, I worked five hours on my next book. I woke up thinking not of blogging, but of plot and character...

I think, maybe, I might be okay after all.

--Diana
visit my website!
Make Me a Match, in stores now
Sexiest Man Alive, coming soon

Michelle said...

I'm dying to see your new cover, Diana. If you email it to me I'll add it to the sidebar for everyone's viewing pleasure. :-)

And BTW, congrats on the new deal with Warner! Woot!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks Michelle.

Yeah, the deal is sweet. I'm thrilled.

Of course, now they expect me to actually write the books...

We should have final cover approval for Sexiest Man Alive this week, so I'll get it to you as soon as I can. It's pretty, um, well, the dude on the cover seems to have lost his clothing...hate that!

--Diana
check me out on Myspace!
Visit My Website