Monday, April 23, 2007

Three Thousand Years by Megan Crane

Last weekend, I went to Yosemite for the first time.

(Which, first of all, everyone should make sure to do at some point, because it is so magical and gorgeous, and we saw only the littlest bit of it.)

But one of the little bits we saw was Mariposa Grove, the home of the giant sequoias.

And I do mean giant. This is a picture of the Grizzly Giant, believed to be 2700 years old:



And here's me next to a fallen one in the mist, just so you can get an idea of the scale:



I've been thinking a lot about the fragility of life this past week, as I imagine we all have. I've been wondering what life must seem like when you're coming up on three thousand years. Human lives are so tiny in comparison. Our struggles, our tragedies, even our triumphs, gone by in an instant.

It helps to think that to a nearly three thousand year old being all of our pain is just part of a grand cycle, the beginning of which was so long ago there are no humans left to mark it.

Assuming trees are sentient, and notice things like humans.

I don't know about you, but I wonder.

No comments: