Sunday, May 27, 2007

Will Write for Wine podcast

A few months ago, the fabulous, Rita award-winning author Lani Diane Rich and I were chatting about our diametrically opposed writing processes. Somehow that conversation turned into, “Hey, we should do a podcast about writing.” Okay, Lani said that. I panicked. I’m a writer, not a speaker. In fact, speaking live is probably my biggest fear behind spiders and rejections.

But after several days of this, I finally relented and agreed to do a podcast even though I had no idea how this miracle of technology worked. Lucky for me, Lani handled all the audio stuff. I picked up the designing, website and MySpace. That much I could do. Plus I really like wine.

Yet the whole time we were birthing the Will Write for Wine podcast, I kept thinking, “Do I know enough about writing to be of any use to anyone?” Granted, I’ve been doing this nine years now, but that in no way makes me an expert. I still learn new things all the time.

Regardless, on March 10, 2007 we launched our first weekly podcast. From the beginning, we wanted it to be entertaining above all else with a little about wine, a lot about writing and even more about what it’s like to be a writer—the good, the bad and the ugly.

We have shows on Craft and Industry for writers, and the Writer’s Life for readers. We have Movie Nights where we analyze the story-telling elements of a particular movie like The Princess Bride or Finding Nemo. We have Writer Improv nights where even we don’t know what’s going to happen. Plus in every episode we try a new wine, swap Killer Words (where we try to stump each other), present We Recommends (our favorite stuff), answer Listener questions, and tally up our writing progress. There's also a monthly contest and really cool tunes. Through all this, we laugh and giggle and make fun of each other and have a great time.

So if you want to learn a little and laugh a lot, check out Will Write for Wine podcast. You can even friend us on our MySpace page. It’s free, and it’s easy. ;D



Until next time!
Samantha Graves

No comments: