Sunday, July 29, 2007

Top 5 Things to Do After Deadline

There's nothing quite like writers' guilt, which is what you get when you take a day to do something (i.e. read Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows straight through before someone spoils you) that is not writing. To avoid writers' guilt, I keep a list of the things I'm going to do after deadline. Call it the bunch of carrots before the horse, but it works for me.

So, in no particular order, here's my list:

(1) Buy a finish-the-damn-book present. In my case, this is always a piece of antique jewelry, usually late Victorian or Art Nouveau. The FDB present for the current book is an amethyst and pearl pendant. Hey, I'm worth it!

(2) See Hairspray and Becoming Jane. And what do these movies have in common? Costumes! I mean, I know Becoming Jane bears no resemblance whatever to the actual life of Jane Austen, but the clothes ... wistful moan ... You'll notice that the sixties have reappeared in the malls in the form of clothes, too, as a result of the Hairspray Effect. I'm no Twiggy, but I'm betting that adorable cotton trapeze dress with the U-yoke would look great on me!

(3) Read at least the next two books in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, to which I'm seriously addicted.

(3a) Go to Borders on August 7 and get the Season 1 DVDs for the above.

(4) Get a pedicure with a pretty nail-polish color.

(5) Do the onsite research for this current book that I couldn't do because I was writing it. Have research completed by the time book comes back for revisions.

Now, aren't those all fun things to look forward to? How do you reward yourself when you finish a major project?

Shelley B.
http://www.shelleybates.com

6 comments:

Diana Holquist said...

Shelley,

Ooh, Hairspray is really fun! People were cheering where I saw it.

Anyway, more proof that I'm a bit of a sicko--but my reward is doing home projects. I love to strip wallpaper and paint walls and sew curtains after 67 hours in every fabric store on the east coast.

I also have the new Shelley Bates novel on my TBR pile, ready to go...

--Diana
http://www.dianaholquist.com

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

I'm SO looking forward to finishing the present book! We're going on a family trip to Minnesota to visit the state fair. Chickens! Corn dogs! Butter statues!

Shari Anton said...

Sleep. Read. Sleep. Read.
I like to keep it simple :).
Shari

Diana Holquist said...

Butter statues?

Elizabeth, your standing just went WAY up in my book.

--Diana

Shelley Bates said...

What in the sam hill is a butter statue?!

Shelley B.

Shari Anton said...

Oh, Shelley, say it isn't so! You've never seen a butter statue (you name it, someone can carve it out of butter) at your State Fair? Or is this just a Midwest thing? I live in WI, so I can easily empathize with Elizabeth :).
Shari