Monday, September 03, 2007

Vampire Romances, Serpent Princes, and the Sexiest Man Alive by Diana Holquist

There's been an interesting discussion on the Grand Central author's loop about whether or not there really are serpents in Elizabeth Hoyt's Serpent Prince. The answer is, more or less, no. If you've ever read any of Elizabeth's Prince books (and if you haven't, you should go out and read one of them immediately...), a fairy tale accompanies the main story as chapter headers and this fairy tale just happens to concern a man who can change himself into a serpent.

In other words, don't be afraid--even if you are afraid of serpents. It'll be okay.

Now me, I'm mostly afraid of vampires. But since vampire romances are the hottest thing since, well, The Serpent Prince, every so often I try to read one. I started with a Maggie Shayne classic. Big mistake. SCARY. The dude, the hero, was frightening. Or was it just that I'm a big, huge-o wimp? It's okay, you can tell me.

So, I went straight to Mary Janice Davidson. These are light, funny vampire romances. (Light, funny vampire romances--read that sentence slowly...) But still, I was grossed out. There was all this biting and blood kinda just, you know, casually in the background. Why can't I get past this? Because as Maggie Shayne is a great suspense writer, Mary Janice Davidson is FUNNY. Yet still, I couldn't read the things.

My new release (one month away...!!!!), Sexiest Man Alive, is about a woman who is afraid of sexy men. She can't go near them. So when she finds out that a Gypsy prophecy says her One True Love is People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive, she's in big trouble. She has to overcome her fear. She has to risk everything to find out if this man is the man for her.

So, I guess I should go for it too.

What vamp romance should I read? I just tried Bite Me by Lyndsay Sands and had to stop after the heroine is covered, crusted even, in blood for the first 50 pages. Ewwwww.....!!!!!!

I'm afraid. Very, very afraid.

6 comments:

Stefanie D said...

Hmmm, J.R. Ward's Black dagger brotherhood is very good. I don't think that there is much blood in it. They still have to drink it, but you don't read about people covered in blood.
I hope you can read these, because they are very good!

Diana Holquist said...

Thanks, Stefanie.

That's what I want--to be able to read the best writing out there--no matter the subject. And since vamps are so hot, I think some of the funniest, scariest, smartest writing is being done around them.

Okay, I'll try it. I've heard good things about it, too.

--Diana

Michelle said...

Um...may I very humbly suggest the very non-gross BITTEN & SMITTEN and FANGED & FABULOUS? The heroine (who is a vampire) is also grossed out by blood. In fact, I'd be happy to swap books with you if you wanna send a copy of Sexiest Man to me. :-)

Oh, and I'm afraid of sharks. Elizabeth better not write The Shark Prince, because I'm not going near that one.

Mich
...who thinks that Elizabeth is using "serpent" as a metaphor for...something. Hmmm.

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

OMG! That's what's next! The Shark Prince. Followed by The Spider Prince, The Slug Prince, and my personal favorite, The Centipede Prince.

Diana Holquist said...

Hey, don't forget the Really-High-Heights Prince. And the Speaking-in-public Prince. I can't wait for those.

Michelle--I have Fanged and Fabulous in my TBR pile. I just love that woman's boots on the cover. I will definitely try it.

And as for serpent metaphors, I just can't imagine what you might mean...

--Diana

Anonymous said...

I would like to read more about the sexiest men...:)