Friday, October 12, 2007

A Dose of Reality


Normally I'm not a big fan of reality shows. They're not "real," for one thing. If they were, they'd be far more boring. But my daughter has inadvertently gotten me hooked on "Beauty & The Geek."

You see, she's going to be in the prom episode next week (I TOLD you they weren't real), but since we weren't sure which show she was in until now, I've been watching the thing for two weeks.

Have you seen it? The Beauties seem to have the collective IQ of a gnat (one of them couldn't properly identify the location of the ear lobe), and the Geeks are more awkward than a herd of giraffes on skates.

Nonetheless, I patiently sat through the melodramatic introductions of the players and the painful pairing off that reminded me all too well of being chosen last for the basketball team. I watched the inane challenges of knowledge and social graces as the couples attempted to mold their partners into more centered human beings.

And you know what?It worked.

Some of the Geeks began to emerge from their shells to test drive their inner suave. Some of the Beauties started to develop a respect for intelligence. The forced fraternization actually DID result in better understanding between the two factions.

Huh.

When you think about it, I guess that's how we write romances. You lock the hero and heroine in a room and let them explore their similarities and differences. Contrast and compare. Voila! Happy ending.

Do you suppose we could achieve world peace like that?

If you want to catch a glimpse of my daughter (who is both a Beauty AND a Geek), watch the show this Tuesday night on the WB (just don't blink).



Sarah McKerrigan...
Stories to keep you up all night!
LADY DANGER - Riding to the rescue April 2006
CAPTIVE HEART - Coming for you October 2006
KNIGHT'S PRIZE - Stealing your heart April 2007

1 comment:

Diana Holquist said...

Sarah--

So I read through that entire blog reading "Greek" for "geek" and thinking, I don't get it. The Greeks are pretty darn beautiful people themselves....

Oh...GEEK!

I need more sleep.

I am so all over that show. So what does your daughter look like? What's she wearing?

--Diana