Tuesday, October 16, 2007

THE NEWBERRY LIBRARY




Sometimes one must suffer in order to experience bliss.

Last Saturday, along with trusty navigator Victoria Hinshaw, I braved Chicago traffic in order to take a seminar at the Newberry Library.

The seminar was worth every teeth-gnashing, brake-wearing moment on the freeway.




For those who aren't familiar with this renowned facility, the Newberry is a non-circulating research library, focusing on the humanities. One must be seated in one of the reading rooms in order to get one's hands on the books. One can actually get one's unworthy bare hands on an illuminated medieval manuscript.



Those who've read THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE will recognize the Newberry as the place where Henry DeTamble works when he's not time traveling.

After a short presentation on the history of the library, we took a tour. The guide showed us the reading rooms, explained how to request materials from the librarians, and then took us back into the stacks. Oh, bliss. Oh, rapture! Oh, now I know why I didn't become a librarian. I'd get my butt fired for hiding away in a corner with some new treasure I'd found.

Then came lunch in a Thai restaurant before heading back to the reading room to try out our new skills. Yes, everything worked just the way we were told, and I was soon immersed in old books and maps. The afternoon buzzed by way too quickly.

I know I'm going back, but next time I may take the train.
I have a friend who proposes that every day one should take a risk. Do something that makes you a bit uncomfortable. Driving through Chicago makes me Very Uncomfortable! But I do it on occassion if the pay off is worth it. What was the last thing you did that you were a little afraid to do but were glad you did it?
Shari Anton

4 comments:

Barbara Vey said...

You are braver than I am to drive in Chicago. The last thing I did that I was afraid to try was to write a blog. Believe me, for a nonwriter, it was horrifying. Now I find it was the best gift I could give myself. And I got to meet you. :)

Shari Anton said...

I'm really glad you took that leap of faith! Your blog is wonderful.

www.publishersweekly.com/blog/880000288.html

Diana Holquist said...

Hi Shari.

The scariest thing I've done lately? Well, I'm about to do it. I'm having a book party to celebrate the release of Sexiest Man Alive. I never do stuff like this, because I hate being the center of attention and I hate putting pressure on people to buy things.

There will be a lot of alcohol.

For me.

--Diana

Shari Anton said...

After two drinks I'm the life of the party. After three you'll find me curled up in a corner asleep. LOL!! Good Luck with the party, Diana! I'm sure you'll be fabulous.