Thursday, October 25, 2007

Now THAT'S scary

I'm not much of a fan of Halloween. I can't even tell you why. I like kids, I like candy, I like dressing up. I just don't like Halloween.

And it's not because it scares me. There are things in every day life that scare me far more. Here are just a few:

Getting audited by the IRS

Am I the only one with that on the top of the list? I think not.

Getting stuck in an elevator

Has this ever happened to me? No. But I've had enough weird elevator dreams to worry about it. Don't ask.

Getting stuck in an elevator with my mother in law

I love my MIL. I just don't want to get stuck in an elevator with her.

Having my favorite bra discontinued

If you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Running out of coffee

This is on the list because I just did. So you can imagine what kind of mood I’m in right now. Actually, I think this is my family's top fear, not mine.

Mom stuff

Where are the kids? Are they safe? Are they healthy? Are they staying off drugs? You know. Mom stuff.

No one will like my book

Yes, I'm a writer and I'm tough. But this one scares me far more than you can imagine. Far more than Halloween, in fact. Probably should move this near the top of the list.


Okay, I'm off to buy coffee. Have a safe and happy Halloween for those of you who love it. Me? I'm just sticking with kids and candy and dressing up.

Samantha Graves

6 comments:

Shari Anton said...

Great list, Samantha! Having my favorite bra discontinued would send me into a depression!! But having my favorite restaurant close down ... oh, too scary to contemplate.

Sam said...

Shari, that would do me in too, and has!

I forgot one! "Developing an allergy to chocolate."

LOL!

Susan Crandall said...

Oh, we're all too alike here. The bra thing! Man.

Nobody liking my book ... now that's the stuff of nightmares! Sorta like being naked in public.

Let's see, I'll add:
Someone stealing my dog (I've got a REALLY GOOD dog!).

Going over high bridges and being around water in a car at night -- don't ask me where that one came from. I've always had it.

A world wihthout Diet Coke. (Probably would make me crazier than most people if coffee disappeared from our planet.)

As for Halloween ... now that my kids are grown, I tend to buy enough candy for a hundred trick-or-treaters and sit in the dark on Halloween and eat it all myself.

Sam said...

I have a thing for driving around water in the dark too, Susan! In fact, I just asked my husband to buy me one of those hammers to keep in my car.

We writers have too good of imaginations. :D

sam

Susan Crandall said...

Sam--

LOL! I keep a pointy screwdriver in my car console, just in case I need to break out! I insist on my hubby and kids having them too. They all think I'm crazy -- but the car and water thing is just the tip of the crazy iceberg!

annie solomon said...

I hate scary movies. And roller coasters. And anything that makes me sit upside down. I've never thought about the water thing before. Hmm. Guess I'll have to add that to my list. AND put a screwdriver in my car. Thanks a lot, guys...

Annie