Thursday, November 15, 2007

Matt Damon is People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. Is He Yours? by Diana Holquist



Well, there it is. Matt Damon, People magazine 2007 Sexiest Man Alive.

When I saw it, my heart sank. And I HATE to write "my heart sank" for two reasons.

One, I'm a romance writer, so I HATE cliches like sinking hearts.

Two, I adore Matt Damon, but I was pulling so hard for my man Beckham and for all those CRAZY, fun, funny Gerard Butler fans who I've met these last few weeks as they voted (and voted and voted) in the Sexiest Man Alive poll.

Over 1200 votes in. Mr. Butler's the big winner with my poll, Gerry Army. (Watch out for these guys; they're serious.)

Anyway, on with the show, I suppose. But why do I feel so sad?

Was I won over by the Gerry fans who are SO passionate about their man? Was it deeper: a sadness for myself facing the reality that it's tough out there and our babies can't always win? I should be happy, in a way, because this proves that novels are infinitely better than magazines, as we can read a novel and imagine whomever we please as the hero. Matt. Brad. Gerry. David....

Ah, David....



Oh. Sorry. Got distracted.

Anyway, I have no answers. Don't know. I'll have to head out and get the issue.

Anyone read it yet? What do you all think? Damon? Hmmm...

6 comments:

Michelle Rowen said...

I read somewhere that Matt Damon (specifically in his Bourne role) is the action hero of today. That ever since 9/11 the public have gravitated to a different sort of hero -- one who is brainy as well as brawny. The article went on to say that this is the main reason why, say, The Rock is not a mega superstar like Arnold was in the 80's and early 90's. We've changed what we find heroic and sexy.

That said, my vote is always with Hugh Jackman. But I would have been very happy with Gerry.

Shari Anton said...

Who gets to vote in the People poll? Just curious :). But I think you're right, Diana, about novels being infintely superior. We can cast an ideal sexy hero and pretend we're the heroine!

Cory said...

Couldn't they have come up with a better picture of Matt??? I knew it would be Matt, although I would have preferred Butler. Yes, I'm a member of Gerry Army...
I've always gone for a more brainy hero myself, nice to know the rest of the world is catching up with the nerdy hero. :)

Diana Holquist said...

Hold on. Brainy? Matt Damon? Really? Isn't he an amnesiac in the Bourne stuff?

If they picked Damon for Sexiest Man Alive 2007 for his brain, I'm gonna go read the mag for the articles...

And I agree about the pic on the cover. Good thing it's not scratch-and-sniff or it might smell like beer. Yuck!

The editors pick. They say they consider the man's charity work, his impact over the course of the whole year, and his "beauty."

I'm sure his publicist has nothing to do with it.

--Diana

Paula Quinn said...

Gerry army member here to. I've never agreed with the People poll. Matt is ok, but not my type.
Diana, as usual, you always make me smile.

MaryF said...

Yes, Matt's character has amnesia, but he's still a quick thinker. That said, I'm not a fan of the pick.

I thought Gerry would get it for sure.

My Supernatural boys weren't ANYWHERE between the covers (well, unless you count Papa Winchester.)