Monday, December 03, 2007

Why Diana Broke Down and Bought a PlayStation by Diana Holquist

Yes, I did it. I bought my son a PlayStation 2. (Don't tell!) Me, the lover of books and hater of electronics. Me, the woman who didn't even have a TV two years ago.

Why did I break down? One word: water. To point: the glass of water my children spilled on my laptop while using it to play computer games. Everyone (including the laptop) survived, but it was dicey for a few days there.

In our little corner of suburbia, everyone has gaming systems. Some families have several. My son said all he wanted for the holidays was a gaming system. He'd even settle, he said, for the lowly Game Cube, whatever the heck that is. He said it while drinking a glass of water. A very full glass of water...

So after a dreary half-hour at a decidedly low-energy Borders filled with folks wandering aimlessly, picking up $23 hardcovers with little enthusiasm and putting them back down, my daughter and I went to GameStop. The place was packed. The folks waiting at the counter were practically salivating for their turn. When I asked the man behind the counter about a used system, the whole store joyously joined the discussion. New or used? Xbox or Playstation? Wiiiiii.......

This was where it was at, I realized. All the cool kids were here. And not just the kids. Hip grandmas were buying Hunt and Kill 27. Cute pony-tailed girls were snatching up Death and Mayhem 3,321. Black, white, Asian, Hispanic. Even two Orthodox Jews, their Tzitzis peeking out under their parkas, were perusing the decidedly unorthodox offerings. This place was rocking!

Are books as over as the lowly Game Cube? The excitement in this place was palpable. There was such fever, such passion. By the time I left, I even wanted the stupid thing. Not that I'll ever touch it. No way. I'm sticking with books--and not the electronic kind, either!

Well, maybe I'll try it just once....

9 comments:

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

That's it, Diana! You're going to hell.

Boys do seem to need these electronic games to be socially acceptable. My nephews are addicted to Lego Star Wars, which features little Lego Han Solos and Luke Skywalkers who fall apart when they're hit. Actually kind of bizarre.

Diana Holquist said...

Oh, I miss Lego! I'd trade my Playstation for Lego any day. But there's no going back.

Boys. It is boys, isn't it? My dear husband has already bought HIMSELF a game.

Ugh!

--Diana

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

No, no! This is a Lego Star Wars COMPUTER game. The most surreal thing you've ever seen.

And the reason my nephews have every Lego Star Wars set and my four-year-old nephew can recite the names of ALL the characters in the entire series (we're talking walk-on aliens I didn't even know HAD names) is because of my SISTER.

It's all very sad . . .

Diana Holquist said...

Oh. Lego computer game. Right. I should have known.

I have to go back to bed and weep now.

--Diana

Shari Anton said...

It'll be fine, Diana! My grandsons have computer games galore, but they still read, play soccer and chess, and always bring along a board game of some kind when they come over. Definitely try it out. They can be fun. And you want to know what the devil they're talking about at supper :).
Shari, one of the hip grandmas

Georgie Lee said...

Legos! It brings back memories. My husband has a PS 2. Two good, non-violent, fun games are Grand Turismo, a car racing game and SSX a snowboarding game. I've played both and they are somewhat addictive. The fun thing about Grand Turismo is that it features cars available only in the UK or Japan. When my husband and I were in the UK he had a great time seeing in person all the cars he'd only seen in the game.

Diana Holquist said...

Hey, Shari. I thought that was you, lurking around Grand Theft Auto.

And thanks for the recs, Georgie Lee. The boys now have soccer and hockey, but I imagine they'll want to branch out soon.

Let's see how long we can keep the guns away....

--Diana

Darla said...

Better that that WOW (World of Warcraft) which is what my son plays every spare moment. I swear that if my house was burning down, my son would save his computer before anything or anyone else! LOL Sad but true...probably!

Diana Holquist said...

OMG, Darla. I've heard about World of Warcraft. My neighbor showed me an episode of South Park on YouTube where the kids get addicted to it and they all get fat and pimply.

Well, we gave him the PS2 a few nights ago for the first (and second and third and, well, every single day of Hanukkah 'cause it's all he's getting) and I've barely seen the boy since.

But on the up side, he hasn't watched any TV for days.

--Diana