Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Elizabeth Discusses Male Chests. Again.

Happy New Year! Woohoo! Why not celebrate the new year by going out and buying my brand new contemporary romance, HOT?

Pretty subtle product placement, huh?

Okay, on to the main event. Today, whilst contemplating what I would write in this, the very first blog of the new year, I came up with two ideas. The first was New Authors I Really Ought to Try This Year. I thought this blog idea would set a nice, bookish tone for coming year. The second idea was Why Are Male Movie Stars Waxing Their Chest Hair? which I think you'd agree is not bookish at all.

Guess which won?

So, recently I saw a clip of Nip and Tuck (which I stopped watching after the second season because I was totally grossed out, not by the graphic plastic surgery, but by a main character having sex with a blow-up doll. EWWWWW!) and in the clip Julian McMahon had a bare nekkid totally hairless chest, and my first thought was, wah-huh? 'cause previously this man had a very nice hairy chest.

(And here I thought I should include a pic of Mr. McMahon's hairy chest which led to me searching for a pic for nearly 20 minutes. That's right: I just spent 20 minutes googling "Julian McMahon, hairy chest." What of it? Like you're doing anything better on New Year's day.)

First I found a teeny-weeny pic of what I think must be Mr. McMahon in his Younger Days:



Then I found this pic which I start giggling over 'cause his expression is so funny (and I have no idea who the woman is):



And then I found a pic of Julian and this anonymous baby:



Do you think they keep these babies around photographer's studios just so they can use them in the obligatory bare male chest shots?

Where was I?

Oh, yes. So, my question is: why? Why wax a perfectly nice male chest? Do women really hate male chest hair that much? I certainly don't. In fact, I rather like it. I realize that some guys are naturally bare, which is fine, but others certainly aren't. Which brings me to the most egregious use of hot wax in a movie:



300 Mediterranean guys and not a chest hair to be seen?

Uh-huh.

Cheers!
Elizabeth Hoyt
www.elizabethhoyt.com
www.juliaharper.com

17 comments:

Shari Anton said...

Now I have another reason to see 300. For research purposes, you understand. I vote for hairy chests!!

Shari

Georgie Lee said...

I have to vote for smooth chests :-)
Did you see Julian's interview on Graham Norton? It was great.

Michelle Rowen said...

You don't recognize Alyssa Milano in Charmed when you see her (with Cole as her demon lover)? You are so not into paranormal. ;-)

Barbara Vey said...

I vote for the hairy chest. It just screams alpha for me. But then I'm the queen of hairy legs, so I guess that explains it.

Kate Diamond said...

Mmmm... Gerard Butler's chest, hairy or smooth, is a cause for celebration. Yay.

Elizabeth Hoyt said...

Heh. You've caught me, Michelle. I've never watched Charmed--even tho my cp, Jade Lee sometimes will recount ENTIRE episodes to me, whether I want her to or not...

Syera said...

Hairless chests are for 14-year-old boys, not grown men. :P

Anonymous said...

hey i too vote for hairy chests!...ruhi chatterjee, india

Anonymous said...

Hello Elizabeth, the woman is Alyssa Milano from Charmed (Phoebe), you should know that..

Saludos a todos..

Beth said...

I love Julian.....one of the best looking men on TV.

Eugenia said...

I prefer chest hair too.

Anonymous said...

The baby in Julian's arms is his babydaughter Madeline, yearssss ago :)

Greetz, Jeanette

Anonymous said...

I'll take Julian's chest with hair, thankyouverymuch. And his daughter's name is Madison, born in 2000. :)

constanza said...

Hairy chests are ewww. Use wax, please.

charles said...

What is all this fuss about hairy chests. What if you don't have any to start with? Maybe I should use Rogaine.

Sarah said...

I definately have to vote for hairy chests, and Julian McMahon's chest is a damn fine example of a good male chest... but then so is the rest of him... HOT.

Peter said...

I love hairy chests. They have such an uber-masculine quality about them.