Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I'll never be a diva


I did a booksigning on the weekend. Now, you may think this involves long lines of adoring fans, a cushy chair, an assistant kneeling next to you presenting each book to be signed, and a fountain pen. Maybe this happens in someone else's world, but not in mine. Yes, I did my job. I dressed in my best, put on a big smile, and greeted customers in the bookshop as though they'd really come to get a copy of my book.

Then I went home and mucked out the chicken coop.

Portrait of the author: lumber jacket, stained pants, flat-bladed shovel in hand, tossing out gobs of you-know-what, surrounded by interested hens looking for seeds to fall out of the newly opened hay bale. Now, this is real life!

It's also why I'll never be a diva. I used to worry about this, believe it or not. I used to be concerned that I'd take myself too seriously, would forget my old friends and where I came from. That was before I got chickens. They keep me grounded. Anytime I think I deserve someone else's contract terms, someone else's eight-pocket floor display, or even the rose my RWA chapter gives for every new sale, I just remember that I have to get out there and clean the coop every other week. It keeps me humble.

It's hard to be a diva with hay in your hair. And I'm glad.

Shelley
http://www.shelleyadina.com

4 comments:

Diana Holquist said...

But do the chickens lay eggs? I haven't had a fresh egg since I lived in upstate New York two years ago....sigh.

I muck out my kids rooms every other week or so, and neither of my kids have ever laid me a single egg.

--Diana

Georgie Lee said...

I think the fact that our lives aren't glamorous helps keep us grounded. After all, we don't want success to go to our heads. :-)

Kelley St. John said...

This reminds me of a speech I heard once where the author said she found out she made NYT, squealed, cheered...then unloaded the dishwasher ;) I loved that!

Kelley

Barbara Vey said...

I think my favorite part of meeting authors is finding the normalacy of their lives. To me, that makes the books that they produce even more fascinating.